Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-01-04-WWF-Saturday Night's Main Event] Hulk Hogan vs Terry Funk

Superstar Sleeze

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan vs Terry Funk - SNME 1/4/86

It was the Best of Terry Funk in this match as he squeezed all his favorite 1985 spots in one entertaining blockbuster against the Hulkster. I thought this was the better, more refined match from their Philly outing. A lot of the same spots but better organized and they were on the same page. For instance, late in the Philly match after a clothesline, Hogan was clearly thinking elbow drop for the flex and pop. Funk wanted to sell and feed for another bump. Who's right, probably Hogan, but now they were firing on all cylinders. I loved the Funk throwing in a chair and Hogan sitting down calling him out. Real fun stuff. The Floridian in the Hawaiian shirt was super into this match and I loved it. It was the tape choke into the piledriver for Funk's big spots. They ran a good false finish with Hart jabbing Hogan with the branding iron on a suplex attempt from apron to the ring, but Hogan got his foot on the ropes. AXE-BOMBAH~! Hogan defeats the Man from The Double Cross Ranch. Really tight, strong SNME match. ***1/2

Edit: Rewatched this as part of rewatching Full SNME episode. Increased star rating. 

I love the spot where Funk goes for a drop-down, but Hogan just steps on his back; and then runs the ropes over and over and keeps stepping on Terry each time he crosses over. I wish more guys would do that, it's such a fun piece of business and it's a good comedy spot which mocks the heel but doesn't make them look like a complete idiot.

• 3 months later...

I watched this recently:

The best match of the evening sees Hulk Hogan defend his title against Terry Funk. We see footage of Funk branding Hogan at a show in Denver, and it is the unpredicatable nature of Funk that makes this watchable, if not more than passable in the ring. Junkyard Dog is down at ringside to help Hogan deal with Jimmy Hart, but he needs very little help in the early going, absolutely blitzing through Funk in several different spots, Funk seemingly spending more time flying over/through the ropes than in the ring. Funk’s stooging is entertaining, and he throws a chair into the ring out of frustration, only for Hogan to sit on it and ask Funk to bring it on.

It is only after Hart grabs Hogan’s leg that Funk is able to get a wrist tape assisted choke on Hogan, dropping him with a piledriver for good measure. Having been pre-conditioned to what I expect in a Hogan match, I expected the big kick out now, but Hogan squeaked out at two. Funk punches Hogan whilst they are both on the floor, but as Hogan gets to his feet, this is where we see the hulk up. Hogan’s big boot sends Funk to the outside, where he is suplexed in. Hart is able to nail Hogan with the branding iron in all the confusion, only for Hogan to get his foot on the rope. One clothesline later, Hogan has retained his belt – odd during this day and age to see Hogan win without the legdrop. An oddly structured and delivered match, but entertaining because of it.

• GSR changed the title to [1986-01-04-WWF-Saturday Night's Main Event] Hulk Hogan vs Terry Funk
  • 11 months later...

Just want to say that I watched this late night as a kid with family members. One was a certifiable genius- got all the Chemistry GRE questions right, math, physics, economics, etc. rich pharmacist.

He really thought WWF was silly entertainment and saw right through Hogan's facial expressions and McMahon acting like Howard Kossel. He knew it was 100% fake since the wrestlers couldn't take punches, flying elbow smashes, or Hulk Up like that in real life.

He laughed at Funk being called the number one contender, and yes, considered him to be a complete idiot, Jingus. :-) He considered it an oversell, although he did not use the word, obviously. He laughed out loud- he wasn't spiteful but wondered why I watched.

I found out years later listening to Larry Matysik on 57Gold that Sam Mushnick and the other NWA head honchos also though Funk was a little too comical. It is ironic that the melodramatic sellers and bumpers like Funk, Flair, Murdoch, Hennig, et al are considered all time great workers since the 1980s without considering that criticism- which I believe to be valid if one values "realism". Again, I'm not saying they are wrong, but when Jim Cornette lashes into modern workers, I always remember that Thesz and the St. Louis crowd had problems with anyone who didn't act "realistic". Even Heenan was not welcomed as a manager in St. Louis, and Race was considered chaotic, violent, and at times unprofessional according to Larry.  In other words, Jim Cornette and his 1980s act would be too phony for Mushnick and friends. Jim and DAVE kinda ignore that.

Again- not taking anything away from Funk- just want to state the other side for a fuller picture.