Pro Wrestling Only

Top 10 W/WWF/E Feuds

Guest cawthon777

Guest cawthon777

I?m curious as to what you guys regard as the top 10 feuds in the history of the company, from 1963 to the present.

It can be based on nostalgia, drawing power, quality of matches, or the amount of heat. The criteria are entirely up to you but state your case and provide evidence to back it up.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

I think Austin vs. Hart is the best feud they've ever done. It was the prototype to Austin/McMahon, and featured two of the best matches in company history (SS96 and WM 13), the latter one was significant in forming the popularity of Stone Cold. In other words, insanely influencial. You factor in moments from Royal Rumble, the shootier elements of Bret Hart swearing in the ring, and how it managed to evolve into The Hart Foundation and involve guys like Shamrock, Goldust, LOD, and you got yourself a well booked feud.

Hogan vs. Savage would be next, for me. How it evolved from WM IV to WM V, the jealousy, Hogan carrying Liz out... some drama~! The match itself was one of Hogans best.

Jake Roberts vs. Ravishing Rick Rude. Rude pulling down his tights to reveal Jakes wife, has to be, one of the greatest moments in WWE history. Actually, that's pretty much all I remember from that feud. Fuck it, it was classic and both guys were so sleazy. When I was a kid watching tapes that documented their feud, I wanted to see the whole thing so badly. This would probably be in the upper-end of my Top 10.

Bret vs. Owen - it had some great moments as well as great matches. Owens turn was very well done, the WM X booking was superb, and Owen getting Helen to throw in the towel at Survivor Series was classic.

Rock vs. Austin. So much money. So much money. It had some of the Attitude Eras best moments and matches. The build for WM 17 was tremendous (its a shame what had to follow). Capped off at WM 19 as Austins last real match. Sorta ended with more of a whisper than a boom, but still.... so much money.... This is probably in the top 3.

Bret vs. Shawn. Probably the longest lasting WWE feud, all things considered. They are probably the only guys to have feuded with each other in every area - tag, IC, and World. I didn't think their matches were too great, but how the feud finished is certainly worth noting. First ladder match in the WWE, first Ironman match. It got really messy at some points, and is probably more interesting because of what happened behind the scenes... still.... has there been any other feud more documented than theirs?

Hogan vs. Andre - Andre ripped off Hogans cross. Heenan was golden. The stuff with Dibiase leading up to WM IV. They got so much out of this feud, which is even more amazing considering Andres physical state. It kinda sucks that I was never around to see it develop at the time. Despite the various lies surrounding their feud, growing up with the notion that Andre had never been beaten or picked up, that there was 93,000 people there, that Hogan fucked ruled... ok, that last part wasn't a lie. It made their Mania III match epic. Also pretty underrated. Andre does so much with so little, and Hogan sells his ass off. I think its a tremendous match with amazing atmosphere.

I need more time to think of the rest.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

In no paticular order:

-Austin/Mcmahon

-Austin/Rock

-Sammartino/Zybysko

-Hogan/Piper

-Hogan/Savage

-Hogan/Andre

-Roberts/Savage

-HHH/Rock

-The Initial Mcmahon saga

-Hardyz/Dudleys/E & C

Honorable mentions:

-Angle/Benoit

-Undertaker/Mankind

-Mankind/Rock

-Dibiasse/Virgil

-Bossman/Hennan Family

-Gang Warz'97

Guest ss_billy

not in order

hogan/piper

macho man/steamboat

rick rude/piper

hogan/orndorff

hogan/macho man

hogan/andre

hitman/austin

vince/austin

hitman/hbk

superstar billy graham/sammartino(this must be #1)

+

I liked these also :)

andre/big john studd

austin/rock

hitman/owen

I'm surprised The Rock vs Chris Jericho hasn't been mentioned yet. Perhaps it's because it was booked to make Jericho a superstar and that never quite happened, and perhaps it's because compared to other feuds, it was relatively short, but in a three month time span, they managed to produce two legitimate ****+ matches and one other very good one, turn Jericho heel and put him in main events, raise Rock's game and deliver some of the best banter we'd seen all year, if not in longer time. Highlights for me were Rock confronting a blood-soaked Jericho about accidentally hitting him with a chair and Jericho punching him, Jericho "accidentally" brushing into Rock and nearly knocking him over, Rock telling Jericho to stay out of his business while Jericho looks on at ringside while he's getting beat down by a group of heels, Rock telling Jericho he's just not that good and can't be a headliner, Jericho giving Rock a people's elbow, Jericho bringing Rock's belt nameplate to him since he won't need it anymore and Rock retaliating by handing him a chair for their rematch, Jericho and Rock playing the tag team partners who hated each other, Jericho attacking Rock out of frustration that Austin pinned him at Survivor Series which nearly put the entire company out of business, Jericho pinning Rock with the Rock Bottom on three separate occasions, Jericho gloating about beating Rock and Austin at ringside while sitting poolside with his belts and of course, the infamous "I am not a joke!" promo. Goodhelmet once said, and I agree, that this feud should have spanned the course of a year with them running the gauntlet and doing every imaginable gimmick match under the sun.

Guest EastCoastJ

I would put Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage as the best feud in any national promotion since the cable era began. It just built and built for so long, and subtleties were in place over a year before they would eventually explode. Savage in particular proves why an argument could be made that he is the best all around performer of the last 20 years, as his slow turn and jealousy build and build. That Saturday Night's Main Event where he finally turned on Hogan was years ahead of its time and still holds up perfectly these days.

It's a shame that the Kurt Angle/HHH/Stephanie McMahon thing never went anywhere, because that was the only other long term feud I can recall that ever came close.

Hogan/Piper I would definitely have to put up near the top even though politics kept it from turning into one of the very best feuds of the modern era. Hogan/Orndorff was great but not at the Hogan/Piper level.

Vince McMahon/Steve Austin deserves a spot. It's a shame McMahon is never given his credit, because as hot as Austin was, McMahon was every bit as important in getting Austin over and keeping him over as Austin himself was. Austin/Bret Hart miigggght be up there, but Hart was always so damn boring to most people that he never really had that many great feuds aside from Austin/Owen/Lawler, all of which were carried in the sports-entertainment capacity by his opponents.

Hogan/Bossman is a candidate considering it was a fucking fantastic feud that lasted way longer than it should have and did huge business on house shows, with the rematches drawing even bigger gates than the first loop.

Slaughter vs. The Iron Sheik would probably be near the very top of the list as well.

The Bossman/Heenan family feud is also a guilty pleasure of mine. The feud started when Heenan started making fun of Bossman's mother on commentary. Bossman then started to go through all the members of the Heenan family. He was going to be programmed with Rude initially but Ric left the company just as the angle started. He then went through Haku, Barbarian at Royal Rumble 91 and then Perfect at WM 7. To this day I don't know why Bossman didn't go over because that was where the buildup was heading. It was blown off on an episode of Prime Time in 91 when Bossman brought out his "mother" to hit Heenan with her purse. It lasted from about Sept. 90 till late Spring/early summer 91.

After watching the Jake DVD I have to nominate Savage/Roberts from 91. Just great heat all around (any angle involving Liz always seemed to draw incredible heat) and Jake was just an awesome heel. The snake biting angle is one of the most surreal angles of all time. It's a shame they didn't stretch the feud till Mania to have a blowoff but the program was not drawing well on top at house shows.

Orndorff/Hogan- feud that hooked me on wrestling.

Demolition/POP from 88-89: another guilty pleasure of mine

Lawler/Bret: 93 version, not 95

Owen/Shamrock: Yet another guilty pleasure

HHH/Goldust: for some reason I really liked this feud

I'm surprised The Rock vs Chris Jericho hasn't been mentioned yet.

Highlights for me were ...

Rock telling Jericho to stay out of his business while Jericho looks on at ringside while he's getting beat down by a group of heels

I was at that show when that happened, and believe me, the crowd (and certainly the people near me) clued in on why Jericho allowed the beatdown on Rock without helping Rock at all. One of the few times at a show I've seen a slightly complex angle (in comparison to others) happen without people scratching their heads. It worked big-time.

Rock and Jericho, not necessarily in that order, were the 2nd and 3rd most over guys that night. Off topic, but take a guess who was the most over worker that night (he was considerably above Rock and Jericho too). (Loss should get this one right away.)

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin Vs. Mr. McMahon

Hulk Hogan Vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage

Jake "The Snake" Roberts Vs. "The Model" Rick Martel (Arrogance sprayed in Jake's face leads to Blindfold match)

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin Vs. Bret "Hitman" Hart

"American Dream" Dusty Rhodes Vs. "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase (He bought Sapphire!)

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin Vs. The Rock

The Ultimate Warrior Vs. Rick Rude

Degeneration X Vs. The Nation of Domination

The Undertaker Vs. Kane

"Macho Man" Randy Savage Vs. "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair (Flair's got pictures of Miss Elizabeth and if he wins, he's going to reveal them!)

I'm such a mark...

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

Oh shit, one of my favourite wrestling moments ever was from a SNME when Dustin was ringside and Dibiase and Virgil started beating on him, leading to Dusty comin out and protecting his son by covering him up with his body and taking the beating for himself, all the while crying over his bloodied son.

Guest Some Guy

rick rude/piper

What happened here. Mamas got no recollection of this.

They had a feud that went from Summerslam 89 through the winter. Piper mooned Rude at Summerslam causing him to lose the IC title to Warrior. They captained opposing teams at Survivor Series 89 and I beelieve they blew it off in a cage match at MSG.

I don't recall the feud being incredible but I'm sure the mic work was very good.

Guest EastCoastJ

I agree, the Dustin Rhodes thing was awesome. It's so weird, I always completely forget Dustin was ever in the WWF during that period, wonder why his stint was so short.

Rock and Jericho, not necessarily in that order, were the 2nd and 3rd most over guys that night. Off topic, but take a guess who was the most over worker that night (he was considerably above Rock and Jericho too). (Loss should get this one right away.)

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. The Rock was getting pretty good heel heat in his match against him that night, too, but I can't remember how well that came across on TV.