Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-04-23-WWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Greg Valentine

Superstar Sleeze

Bob Backlund vs Greg "The Hammer" Valentine - MSG 4/23/84

A lot of people say this is the least of their series, I am the polar opposite, I think it is the best match of their series. I pretty much love all Backlund/Valentine matches and I do need to rewatch the draw so it definitively, but I really, really love this match. This is my third time watching it and it has not lost any of its luster. Where it succeeds where so many matches fail is the natural transitions between limb work through the match and the sustain selling in and out of segments by both men. The commentators are going on that Backlund may have to hang it up if he loses this one. I think Backlund had no place in Vince's WWF and that commentary shows it, but I wish he stayed wrestling elsewhere full time because he was so damn good.

The early part of the match is fun with Backlund doing single leg pickups to show up The Hammer and they have some fun amateur exchanges. Backlund gets into a forearm exchange with Valentine, which is a bad idea. Backlund has a lingering arm injury from when he lost the belt to Sheiky Baby and Valentine focuses his attack on it. It is very compelling arm work and it is nice to see Backlund on the defensive. Backlund does his bridging spots, but Valentine stays on the arm. Backlund cant backslide because of the bad arm. Huge clubbing blows to the arm. Valentine misses a second rope leg drop. Meaning his leg is susceptible to work and Backlund jumps on it. It becomes a massive struggle to see if Valentine can re-establish arm control or if Backlund can gain a foothold in the match by working the leg. Backlund does a great job selling the arm as he ties Valentine up. He can do a crossface. but he is able to use a deathlock to at least by himself time and then he picks Valentine up and throws him down. Valentine escapes to outside. He trips Backlund up and wrenches Backlun'ds leg against post and then throws a chair at it. AWESOME! Valentine was desperate he grabbed whatever limb he could get and it also sets up for figure-4. The Hammer keeps selling his own leg as he works Backlund's leg. Backlund is fighting from his back to attack Valentine's injured leg. This is so awesome. Valentine tries figure-4 multiple times, does get Boston Crab on onre, but Backlund powers out because he is a stud. Valentine is frustrated that he tried the figure-4 three times and no success. BACKLUNDZIGUIRI!!!! Valentine is dazed and pissed. He recovers and ties Backlund up. He wants the damn figure-4. He misses a second rope elbow. Backlund's knee gives out on an atomic drop. FIGURE-4!!!! Valentine is finally going to one over his archrival. Valentine uses ropes for leverage and ref breaks it up. Backlund O'Connor Roll for the win. As is his MO, Valentine is a sore loser. He decks the ref and puts Bob in the figure-4.

Awesome match! Incredibly compelling loved the selling, the work and the transitions from body part to body part. I thought the finish was a little anti-climatic. I guess they were not exactly ready to put Bob out to pasture yet. ****3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1984-04-23-WWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Greg Valentine