Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-05-19-WWF-Landover, MD] Iron Sheik vs Sgt. Slaughter

goc

I don't know how well circulated this match is, it's never really talked about when people are talking about the Sheik/Slaughter series. It very well could just be essentially the same match as the 5/21 MSG match that they have only 2 days after this one and I guess I'll find out soon as I plan to watch that next.

But this is a pretty good match, not as good as the first MSG match and not nearly as hot of a crowd although they're definitely into the match. Slaughter starts the match and just kicks Sheik's ass for the first few minutes. Slaughter throws him over the top rope and then hits him twice with a chair both looking like fairly safe working chair shots (I mention that now for a reason) and tries to bring it back in the ring with him but the referee gets it away from him. Slaughter keeps on beating on him and even pulls Sheik up from a pin attempt but Sheik reverses an irish whip into the corner and Slaughter takes his patented bump over the top rope to the outside.

Sheik goes out after him and slams his head off the monitor which causes it to stop working. That amuses me as you see the tech guy sitting next to Gorilla Monsoon trying to get it to come back on but it won't. Then Sheik grabs a chair and nails Slaughter in the back of the head and neck with probably the most dangerous, reckless looking chairshot I have ever seen. I mean Slaughter is really lucky he didn't get injured on that one, I have no idea what Sheik was thinking and why it aimed so high instead of just hitting him across the back. Slaughter just barely beats the count back in and is now bleeding from his shoulder. Not sure if he actually got cut on that chairshot or if Slaughter bladed his shoulder.

Sheik works him over for a bit making sure to get in a lot of kicks and stomps with his pointy boots. Sheik goes to the top rope for a splash (!?) but Slaughter rolls out of the way which gives Slaughter opening for his comeback. Slaughter hits the Cannon on Sheik but then gets caught up in trying to take off Iron Sheik's boot. The referee tries to stop him but Slaughter shoves him away then Sheik shoves the referee away and we get a double DQ. Slaughter keeps trying to take off the boot after the match and we get a bunch of scrubs out to try and stop him but Slaughter lays them all out with the Slaughter Cannon until finally there are enough of them to pull him off and then Sheik takes a cheapshot while Slaughter is being held back before taking the chance to run away.

This was good stuff but I have no idea if it's a nice companion piece to the big 3 match series from MSG or if it's essentially the same/a lesser version of the match from MSG 2 days later. Even if that turns out to be the case, this is worth watching just to see that nasty chairshot.

• GSR changed the title to [1984-05-19-WWF-Landover, MD] Iron Sheik vs Sgt. Slaughter