Pro Wrestling Only

[1982-03-29-CWA-Mid-South Coliseum] Dutch Mantell vs Jerry Lawler (Barbed Wire)

Superstar Sleeze

March 29, 1982 Mid-South Coliseum Memphis, TN

Barbed Wire Match

Dutch Mantell defends the AWA Southern Heavyweight Title

Interesting reaction at the beginning as there are clearly Mantell fans in the audience and they are vocal. I had been reading that Mantell was not treated as a true heel and many fans agreed with his stance even though he did employ nefarious tactics. Heels fans in 1982??? Shades of gray booking??? Just more proof that Memphis was way ahead of its time.

The barbed wire is not around he ropes ala Funk/Sabu, but rather around the outside the ring in order to keep Dutch in the ring and prevent him from getting chairs or taking it to the outside. The idea at the beginning is to really put over how he barbed wire has changed the complexion of the match. Both men are trying their damnest to avoid the barbed wire and there are a lot of barbed wire teases. This has led to a match that has a more cautious beginning with even some wrestling. Adding a stipulation they forced them to layout a new match. This what so many bookers/wrestlers don’t understand about stipulations they should exist for a reason and then be treated differently. Also, Lance Russell articulates these statements so well for the home viewer facilitating their understanding. They do a nice even-stevens should block sequence, which Dutch surprisingly wins with a Thesz press, which gets two, but gives Mantell control. On this go around, I did find this section a bit dull at time even if it was logical.

Of course, Mantell is able to use the barbed wire to slice Lawler wide open on the forehead in particularly gruesome fashion. Russell informs me that he is wearing the crimson mask. Lawler misses on a desperation, wild right due to his vision being blurred by the blood, good spot. A desperation right boot finds it mark in the corner and Lawler IS UP! He immediately exacts retribution by slicing Mantell open on the barbed wire and then attacks the cuts with a series of right leaving Dutch to beg off. Crowd is going wild for Lawler until Dutch clips him south of the border and the Dutch fans start cheering. Lawler blocks a suplex attempt only to hit one of his own. They trade missed elbow drops. LAWLER SCORES WITH A PILEDRIVER!!! However, the tape clips after the pinfall to Mantell back in control. BOOOOOOO! We miss about five minutes at the beginning and I think overall we miss somewhere between 8-10 minutes of action.

Lawler comes charging out of the corner and spears Dutch. It sounds like a simple spot, but you have to see the power and velocity that Lawler got this late into the match that really made that spot look so cool. Lawler misses a fist drop and Dutch takes over with lefts and rights. Wait, what is this, Russell notes that Mantell is losing steam on his punches. Has Dutch punched himself out? Lawler pulls the strap down. O, it is one like Donkey Kong. Slugfest erupts and Lawler has a little more behind his punches than Dutch and wins that battle. This fuckin feels like the 12th round of a heavyweight boxing match, some real good shit right now. Dutch does a less comical Flair Flop. Mantell cant even stand, but still kicks out. Lawler punches Mantell while he is on the ground, but he loses steam and yes Lawler has now punched himself out. They run off the ropes and collide both ending up worst for wear. THIS IS A FIGHT!!! Both punch each other simultaneously sending Dutch down and Lawler on Jell-O legs finally collapses. Both men are selling exhaustion like champs. Dutch tries to bodyslam Lawler, but he is too fatigued to execute it and his legs give way with Lawler on top giving Lawler a 2 count. That was an excellent false finish as I thought it would have been a great ending to this slobberknocker. They tussle over an Irish Whip and they both collide off the ropes. Lawler falls on top of Mantell for the pinfall and the three count.

This is the definition of slobberknocker. If you are looking for thousands of wrestling moves, this match ain't going to scratch that itch. If you are looking for a heated, intense, dramatic fight between two wrestlers then it will be hard to top this. The finish run with them both falling all over themselves and then simultaneous punches definitely gave this more of a face vs face vibe. Mantell was going down in a blaze of glory and it was a very respectable effort. So I get the finish the finish, but cant say I was in love with it. It was definitely a way to end the feud and then keep Mantell babyface. But even without it, holy fuck, this was such a BITCHIN match with an excellent story. The clipping keeps this one from getting the full monty, but it is among the best Lawler classics. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1982-03-29-CWA-Mid-South Coliseum] Dutch Mantell vs Jerry Lawler (Barbed Wire)