Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Payback

WingedEagle

It's up there. If you leave out Foley's HIAC, there's the Bret one, and the other Mankind spot when he went head first off the apron that was pretty shocking. The one from Sunday is just beautiful to watch. Should have immediately gone in the RAW opening.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is gloomy Trent Reznor smark at ringside for every show now?

I've seen that guy and (presumably) his mom in the first or second row at a least 10 WWE shows this year including most if not all of the PPVs. Maybe he got an inheritance ^_^

Gonna post my full review tomorrow (I think), but my biggest takeaway is that the signing of AJ and decision to catapult him into the main event within 6 months of his WWE debut was one of the smartest moves the company's made in a long while.

I don't think Owens or Zayn or Balor could've worked in that position and immediately delivered a match that was more "capital M" Main Event than what AJ and Reigns did here. That match just felt BIG and I don't think you can really give too much credit to the Chicago crowd, who was certainly hot, but not necessarily invested 1000% from the first second. AJ and Reigns got them there and kept them there *despite* booking shenanigans that made it very apparent that AJ was not leaving with the strap. Lots of great spots throughout, Reigns' selling has always been one of my favorite parts of his game, and while I'm not one of those guys that says Reigns can't wrestle, I'm willing to say this - that match was, to me, easily one of the top 3-4 singles matches he's had in his entire career and, while he carried his end, AJ did more as Reign's foil than Reign's did as AJ's. In other words, like a Daniel Bryan, I think AJ brings elements (high-flying, speed, varied offense, ability to link together maneuevers and submissions) that Roman Reigns can't and when you put them together, you get magic in a way that Reigns just will never get from an Ambrose.

So, yeah, Reigns had a great match - but AJ had more to prove here and he absolutely did, delivering the kind of performance that makes it very clear why he was successful in Japan and why he's worth every penny the WWE paid for him.

Can anyone who watches RAW remind me how they got from Shane vs. Taker to this?

Wasn't the stip of that match over exactly this?

At the RAW after Mania, Vince was like "this show is always crazy, the fans are crazy and nothing really makes sense. So I'm gonna give Shane a chance to run things so I can watch him screw things up" or something along those lines.

How we got to Shane having control of RAW for more than one show? No clue, I think they didn't even come up with a shitty explanation for that one.

The explanation was that he was getting kept on week after week because of demand for it on twitter.