Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-08-16-JCP-Philadelphia, PA] Midnight Express vs Rock & Roll Express (2/3 falls)

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Midnight Express vs Rock N Roll Express - JCP Philly 8/16/86 2 Out of 3 Falls

I could watch these two teams forever. The Midnight Express try as they might just cant get one over on the RNRs. They try quick tags and end up running into each other. They try hair pulling and Condrey ends up taking three atomic drops. They try double teaming in their own corner and Gibson fights his way out. I am missing some other examples, but my point is RNRs have to earn their shine. MX is the tag team version of Flair. They are always trying something, but the babyfaces are just better. Until that one moment and BAM! In this case, Morton sets his head low and Eaton pounces with an elbow. Nice heat segment on Morton lots of action. Divorce Court sets up some arm work. Eaton throws Morton hard into the turnbuckles like harder than Morton was expecting because he does not really have time to protect himself and he eats it hard. Morton comes outta the corner with a back elbow and Gibson grabs a quick small package to go up 1-0. Smart wrestling by Gibson, they were severe trouble and he quickly scores a point and swings all the momentum in their favor. RNRs 1-0.

If was not going to be a sweep, you knew this one would be quick. Gibson crashes and burns on a reverse crossbody, but goes for the small package. I like that move in desperate times. He runs the ropes, but holds the top rope down. Two big time backbreakers by Condrey evens the score. I wont hold it against them, but I was really hoping for the Rocket Launcher or something cool to get them the fall. Tied 1-1.

MX rips off the bandages on Gibson's back. Didn't even notice that before! Makes the backbreakers make way more sense. MX goes to town on his back. The best parts are the Rocket Launcher and Elbow drop to the back! WOW! Gibson knee lift, goes to the wrong corner, but finds Morton. Morton gets the hot tag and hits a MISSILE DROPKICK! Eaton comes off the top on him. Gibson stops the ref because Eaton is not legal. Condrey hits a monster high knee to Morton that sends him flying out of the ring. Condrey tries to bring him in with a bodyslam, but Morton rolls through.

Incredible match! Offense was spectacular, great heat on Gibson and the finish run was one of the most exciting you will ever find. Definitely should be considered one of the best matches in JCP history. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1986-08-16-JCP-Philadelphia, PA] Midnight Express vs Rock & Roll Express (2/3 falls)