Pro Wrestling Only

NXT Takeover Brooklyn 2 8/20/16

Johnny Sorrow

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My five-year-old daughter is a HUGE Nakamura fan. She was watching the show with me, but fell asleep before Baley/Asuka. She's going to be so excited when she watches the main event tomorrow!

Great show. That tag title match was probably the best thing on it. The Revival are so good at leading you down one path that you think the match is going to go and then switching it up. They stay true to the "Southern Tag" format, but mix in enough interesting twists on it, that it's new and original.

But is Nakamura/Roode really a match that anyone, right now, buys as a Takeover Main Event? Who buys Roode beating Nakamura?

Who would have bought Joe beating Nak in a rematch? Nak is probably gonna be on top regardless, but I think Roode's as good or better an option as any.

That was the closest to "in real time" as I've watched an entire show since I was actually at the Rumble a couple of years ago. I just finished, with gaps for putting the kid down.

Thoughts:

Jose vs Aries: I know we're stereotyped as the punch people but Jose's punch is so beautiful. I liked Aries a lot here as the slimy veteran. It was interesting how many times that they went back towards the full nelson in the finishing stretch. There were some interesting layout things all night. Also, so, so man rotation forearms or punches or clotheslines or whatever. I think Jose could be a force on the main roster if they give him a chance to keep improving and then don't cut his legs off when he gets up. Great reaction for Itami. He seemed like a star (But then just about everyone did). Oh, I loved Aries tope too.

Roode vs Almas: This was the perfect night for Roode's entrance. He seemed like the biggest thing in the world because it's so fresh and the viral videos and the fans were just totally ready for it. I thought Almas did a good job winning over the crowd, actually, but he's so much better as a heel that they should just turn him. If nothing else, I have no idea why they're not giving up on the entrance gear. Come on. Roode needs to just do the Test Pumphandle Power Slam. Roode vs Nakamura would be a completely fine Takeover main event on Roode's way to the main roster. I still think Vince and HHH have to love the guy.

Moon vs Kay: Billie's Psylocke as Part of the Hellfire Club gimmick is strange, but whatever. She looked good. Moon looked pretty good. The crowd was willing to get behind her. The entrance was good. I wish they would actually be a little clearer on what she's supposed to be. Cleopatra Meets the Brood? That finisher is gold.

Tag match: God this was great. They had me on the near falls to the extent that I'm probably giving an emotional response. The one off the double suplex is one of my favorites (I love it as a 3D break up roll up). Then the Shatter Machine counter completely had me. I think my favorite part of all of this might have been Becky and Sasha's response to the chop block. Thanks to the colorful hair, you caught them off the corner of the screen and they were so into it at that moment. The finishing stretch was the best one the WWE's done all year, absolutely. But I'd have to rewatch to say if it was the best match.

Asuka vs Bayley: I thought the post match was wonderful. It was just visceral and she could have soaked up those cheers all night. As for the match itself, I really liked the first half. I think it was the smoothest and most polished Bayley had ever looked with the roll ups and some of her high risk offense. Graves trying to cover the power bomb attempt with the ankle being hurt was good, but she wasn't selling it. That would have been fine if not for the flub cover, so who knows. Either it was intentional and built into the match, at which point the lack of selling hurt it or wasn't intentional and was a decent recovery but was pasted over by Graves in a way that didn't help things. Moreover, Bayley seemed sort of blown up for a big chunk of it. Was that just me? I still thought the emotional core of the match was there and effective though. Asuka was really into her entrance with the wavy arms going like something out of Akira or some other cultural reference point I'm not hip enough to hit.

Joe vs Nakamura: Amazing entrance. I almost wish Joe had responded by coming out to no music. The tension for the first touch was like something I'm not sure I've ever seen in WWE. Joe is the guy who should be main eventing Summerslam tomorrow, not Orton, not Finn, not Rollins, not Brock. This completely avoided the Nakamura Second Act Slump because Joe was in the driver's seat. Better than any of the Finn vs Joe matches and MAYBE Nakamura's best WWE match so far. The Sami match had more fireworks but it wasn't much more but fireworks. This had more gravitas, maybe. It could just be the recency though.

Literally the only thing that will make me happy tomorrow night is if Ambrose beats Ziggler, and while he's celebrating, Joe comes out of the crowd and destroys him to set up the next Smackdown title program.