Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-08-07-NWA TNA] A.J. Styles vs Low Ki vs Jerry Lynn

Superstar Sleeze

X Division Champion AJ Styles vs Low Ki vs Jerry Lynn - NWA TNA 8/7/02

"The fans really showing their respect for these competitors" "Again we point out the fans are still on their feet" - Mike Tenay

I am not saying this is the first match, but this was definitely a harbinger of the matches we are stuck with now. Ones that not only emphasize the moves over the victory and the motivation of the characters, but that sense of self-congratulatory respect from the crowd. This crowd was mixed. They definitely wanted Low-Ki to win, but were also as interested in chanting TNA at every highspot and cheering the exhibition rather than competition. The announcing has been absolutely dreadful. Constantly selling me how awesome TNA is rather than telling the story in the ring. Granted there was not much of a story to tell. The first AJ Styles match that has been a disappointment was definitely this one. I don't really like triple threats. Everyone seems to hate them, but someone must like these fuckers they keep putting them on. This was just spot-spot-spot. AJ was beginning his cocky heel turn against Jerry Lynn, but besides a ballshot that was poorly sold (I hate when the ballshot is not respected) and some cockiness at the end, he was not very good at being a heel. Lynn is a snorefest. Low-Ki was definitely the best wrestler. He played his character well and was tenacious about going for the victory via the Dragon Sleeper. I thought the best spots of the match were Lynn flipping AJ Styles into his quebrada/Slop Drop combo and Ki getting stuck in the ropes off a Dragon Sleeper and Styles hitting a quebrada. Probably the most eye ball rolling sequence was each stealing the other's finish hitting on that person and the having that person kick out. That is just so stupid. Hey kill your own finish. It is a fucking triple threat have the other person break it up to protect the finish. Oh speaking of the finish, it sucked out loud. AJ brains Lynn with a chair. Takes his sweet time getting to top rope so Ki rolls in, Styles hits Spiral Tap but Ki stays on top to win. So lame. That's a heel way of winning not a babyface way. Sucky. Lets hope the ladder match is better.

• 1 year later...

I thought the four way double elimination match to crown the inaugural champ between these guys and Psicosis was forgettable and this is even more so forgettable. It's a given this is a glorified spot fest so if you're not a fan of these, then don't bother and even if you're a fan of them, you can still skip this as it's nothing special.

• GSR changed the title to [2002-08-07-NWA TNA] A.J. Styles vs Low Ki vs Jerry Lynn
  • 3 years later...