Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-01-23-WWE-Smackdown] Rey Mysterio vs Kurt Angle

Microstatistics

It's funny Angle and Benoit had that highly praised match a few days before on PPV and Rey gets a much better match out of Angle in

Anyways this is great great cat and mouse stuff. Rey was probably Angle's best opponent. Also Rey takes an absolutely disgusting headdrop bump that would have made the All Japan dudes cringe. ****

• 10 months later...

What a fantastic sprint. These two can just go at it for 6-10 minutes and produce some absolute masterpieces. As with all their stuff, this is worked at a blistering pace. Angle gets to show off a bit more dominance here than in the SummerSlam match and I thought he actually looked better on offense here than in the other match. Mysterio's comebacks are legendary. Flashy, exciting, gets the crowd rollicking. But my god, that finish. Brutal. As of now, I enjoy the SummerSlam match a bit more but this is easily in the same ballpark.

****1/4

• 2 months later...

WWE World Champion Kurt Angle vs Rey Mysterio - WWE Smackdown 1/23/03

The night after the famous Angle vs Benoit Rumble '03 match. Angle has Heyman with him as the build to Angle/Brock is beginning. Sounds like Rey Rey just made a return. Rey tries flying around at a million miles per hour to discombobulate Kurt, but gets caught with a brutal sitout powerbomb. Awesome vicious heat segment by Angle climaxing with sick headdrop German suplex. Rey's comeback has some really fun spots. I thought they would have been better served in the shine than in the comeback. But the spots are awesome and quite inventive. Angle gets his Anklelock and then overhead belly to belly. Rey dials up 619, but gets caught, but hits his bulldog. Gets caught on West Coast Pop and nasty finish with Angle ramming his head into the buckles and then driving back with him, roll through and Angle wins. Among Angle, Mysterio, Benoit & Eddie, WWE was loaded with TV talent. Lack of selling by Rey hurts it which is why the comeback would have been great as a shine. Individual moves by both men were awesome and the speed was great. Gnarly finish too. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2003-01-23-WWE-Smackdown] Rey Mysterio vs Kurt Angle
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2016 at 7:05 PM, Microstatistics said:

It's funny Angle and Benoit had that highly praised match a few days before on PPV and Rey gets a much better match out of Angle in

Anyways this is great great cat and mouse stuff. Rey was probably Angle's best opponent. Also Rey takes an absolutely disgusting headdrop bump that would have made the All Japan dudes cringe. ****

Such lies. The Benoit match is clearly better despite not being great. Also, I feel Eddie Guerrero was the best Kurt Angle opponent.

This is still good stuff though. ***1/4