Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-01-15-WCW-Saturday Night] Silver King vs Barry Horowitz

soup23

If the Elix vs. Jindrak match was NXT esque, this was 205 live in a nutshell. A six minute match with nothing much of note and some flash mixed in. Horowitz is a good enough base but the Silver King nutty bumps were restrained for him. The crowd was sparse and sad and the sweetening that was added was 1991 WWF syndication levels of bad. *1/2

• 3 weeks later...

I sort of really dug this. BAD Barry Horowitz is cool as a bully type grinding down Silver King before King uses flashiness and speed to put him away. Definite moments of awkwardness in this one, especially the weird plancha to the floor that just comes up short and leads to Horowitz clubbing King in the kidney. But they just work through the rough patches and it has a fun kind of endearing sloppiness to it. They pack a lot into the short timeframe. Horowitz uses a cool bridging knucklelock suplex. King hits a nice springboard moonsault for the win.

• 1 month later...

You always got some totally random matches in the latter years of WCW Saturday Night and this is a perfect example. I didn’t spot it on the Jindrak/Skipper match, but the piped in audio is really noticeable here. Every time ‘Bad’ Barry Horowitz is on offense you hear booing (and pretty sizeable booing at that), although if you check the crowd you see they’re just sat down with their arms folded! Nice double knucklelock into a bridging suplex from Horowitz, and Silver King gets the win after a double springboard moonsault.

Not much to this one. Mike Tenay and Scott Hudson spending most of the time talking about Souled Out, to go with the piped in audio, didn’t help. I expected a bit more from these two but they didn’t mesh as well as I thought they would.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-01-15-WCW-Saturday Night] Silver King vs Barry Horowitz
  • 5 months later...

I don't like Horowtiz as the tough guy heel, I find him about 0% threatening and it's not like he stooged here to make up for it. There were a few really awkward moments in this where it looked like neither had had even gotten into a ring before and weren't sure how to react to the other's position. The failed crucifix was funny, but Silver King jumping outside to nothing was just sad as hell. I thought this was honestly kind of terrible.