Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-01-17-WCW-Nitro] Buff Bagwell vs DDP

soup23

On the other side of the WCW spectrum is this storyline. Kimberly is the special referee and is supposedly having an affair with Buff. They are just friends though. These storylines never seem to work out because who are you supposed to cheer for. I am really interested to see if the Steph/HHH/Angle triangle holds up later this year as it may be the exception to the rule. Anyway, you can see Kimberley's G-string throughout the match and in a hilarious quip Bobby asks if she is wearing a slingshot. I'm shocked that both Heenan and Tony now have iconic calls this late into their WCW tenure. The guys brawl around a bit which is a nice structure for a hate feud but the crowd is perplexed. The finish is contrived as all hell as Kimberly runs into Buff in awkward fashion and when Buff goes to check on her, DDP hits the cutter for the win. It is implied that Kimberely helped him and is in on it but she scampers away as the show fades off the air. *3/4

Okay match brawling into the crowd, which at some point became a cover for conveying violence in a wrestling match. I hate stuff like this because who made Kimberly the referee and why would they do that? She is his wife and theoretically, referees are there to officiate athletic contests. There has to be a better way to drive this conflict than that. I know refs are often special enforcers in matches, but usually it's to ensure there's no funny business or something. This was to deliberately seek drama. Silly. Avoid this. You'd think DDP would know better than to go there considering how wrestlers booking problems in their marriage goes, and you'd definitely think new booker Kevin Sullivan would know better (unless this was his attempt to kill it off). It's also hard to tell who is really the babyface and who is really the heel in this since both come across sort of scummy. Bagwell had been a babyface and DDP had been a heel before this feud started, but Bagwell has been messing with a married woman, so this is all sorts of mixed up. But hey, it played on a real issue that happened between Bagwell and DDP around this time, and I guess that's all that matters.

• 1 month later...

This is a rematch from Souled Out last night where Buff got the win, but this time with Kimberly Page as the special guest referee. DDP looks pissed off, spits in Bagwell’s face and the best Buff can do is fire back with some pulled punches! An uranage from Page and Kimberly is reluctant to make the count. Collar and elbow tie up and they both fall through the ropes and brawl outside and into the crowd. DDP breaks a crutch over Buff’s back and Bagwell retaliates with a garbage can shot to Page’s. They return to the ring and Bagwell hotshots DDP into the top turnbuckle and puts the boots to him. He starts posing trying to impress Kim, but this gives DDP the few seconds he needs to recuperate and fight back. Buff holds the top rope to block the Diamond Cutter and a lousy looking double armed DDT follows. This time however Kimberly is reluctant to make the count when he‘s making the cover. A bunch of pinning reversals and each time Kim is slow with the count. Buff climbs the turnbuckles for the Blockbuster, but Page falls into the ropes causing him to lose his balance and crotch himself. DDP ascends himself for a superplex, Bagwell low blows him and hits the Buff Blockbuster. As Buff is celebrating Kimberly seemingly runs into the back of him knocking herself down, although Tony Schiavone claims she went to shove him and Buff accidentally knocked her down! He goes to check on her but Page with the Diamond Cutter and Kimberly counts the three.

The effort of DDP aside this was terrible; although I suppose it was interesting and different seeing some brawling in the crowd on a Nitro. For someone who has been in the sport now for ten years, Bagwell does nothing that looks good and I struggle to see what he actually brings to a match. The finish was ridiculously contrived with Kimberly running into Buff and the slow, hesitant count of the falls was overplayed. The less I see of Bagwell in this project the better!

• GSR changed the title to [2000-01-17-WCW-Nitro] Buff Bagwell vs DDP