Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-01-19-WCW-Thunder] DDP vs Chris Kanyon

soup23

There is something very sad about Kanyon having to portray this Godfather knockoff gimmick. Kimberly is awful on the mic but has other “assets” that she utilizes here to distract Kanyon for Page to attack. I feel like we missed part of the storyline as Page and Kim are solidly together here when on Nitro there was still uncertainty. The match is not bad, just marred by the weird storyline and what was going on both on screen and behind the scenes with DDP. DDP is able to get the victory on a good looking Diamond Cutter with more Kim influence. *1/2

Yes, I still think Kanyon's best path to stardom was just to STAY MORTIS. I will keep saying that. The match itself was really good TV stuff, I thought -- action packed, and it helps that these two knew each other well and trained together a lot. Very good heavyweight wrestling at a time when WCW really needed very good heavyweight wrestling. Kanyon could sometimes get a little overly creative and come across awkward, but he was a solid working heel here.

• 1 month later...

I always liked Kanyon better as a babyface than a heel so or course he was almost always heel. DDP seemed to have his working shoes on so this was a good match I thought. It was a little awkward at times I guess but told a good story and I always love the Diamond cutter out of nowhere.

• 1 month later...

Kanyon is doing the ‘Champagne’ gimmick and is accompanied by J. Biggs (Clarence Mason) and two Nitro Girls (Baby and the future Ms. Jones). He takes the mic and says how he’s scheduled to wrestle DDP but has a problem with that because he’s already beaten him one on one, and has already beaten him in a three way match with Bam Bam Bigelow so has got nothing to prove. He refers to Jersey as the right armpit of America, Evansville as the left, and because of that and because he’s got nothing left to prove here tonight, they’re all going to get on a jet and head back to LA. DDP’s music plays, but no Page as Kimberly walks out on her own. Kanyon tells them to cut that cheesy, ripped off music, and says that Page is up to his old tricks of sending a woman to do a man’s job, before offering her the chance to forget about DDP and join him instead. Kimberly removes her coat and says if he ditches those two tramps then maybe they can talk. Kanyon seems to be going for that idea when he’s nailed with a clothesline off the top from DDP who has snuck out there somehow. Page shoots him chest first into the corner, belly to back suplex and Kanyon takes to the apron for a breather. Knee to the back sends him off the apron and flying into the guard rail and Page follows with a pescado. DDP throws him back in the ring, Kanyon blocks a hiptoss and turns it into a swinging neckbreaker. A trio of elbow drops only bring a two. Nice overhead throw from Page and he clotheslines Kanyon over the top rope to the floor. Kanyon reverses an Irish whip to the guard rail and then puts his leg across the back of DDP’s head and drives it into the ring steps. Crossbody block off the top, but Page rolls through for a two count. Kanyon unloads on DDP in the corner, however he jaws with the referee instad of following up and Page starts to fire back. Quality uranage for a near fall. Irish whip, but Kanyon holds onto Page’s arm, slides back through his legs and plants him with a pump handle slam. Biggs is loitering up on the apron with his briefcase and he gestures to Kanyon to send him his way so he can nail him with it. DDP reverses the Irish whip and Kanyon stops just in time from colliding with Biggs. Forearm to the back sends him into Biggs, schoolboy and Kanyon kicks out at the last second. Page signals for the Diamond Cutter but Kanyon counters with a backslide attempt. As they’re both fighting to get the advantage, Kanyon with a back kick low blow. He’s up on the second turnbuckle and Page with a powerbomb. Kanyon picks up the briefcase ready to clobber Page, but Diamond Cutter out of nowhere for the win.

Good match and I enjoyed this with both of them working hard and Page busting out a clothesline off the top, a pescado and a gorgeous uranage. I’m guessing he worked harder than you would expect for a Thunder match because he was in there with his buddy. Good action up until the Biggs interference which took it down a bit. As Kanyon was more than holding his own in the match you have to wonder what was going through Biggs’ mind and why he felt the need to get involved?

• GSR changed the title to [2000-01-19-WCW-Thunder] DDP vs Chris Kanyon