Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-01-21-ECW-Baton Rouge, LA] Rhino vs Rob Van Dam

soup23

It takes RVD forever to do his entrance. The crowd is really hot at Victory and Corino and Victory calls a fan a fucking rat. He has to be calmed down by Fonzie of all people. We finally get started 8 minutes in and we have some classic shaky ass production from RF. Fonzie gives us some dreadful commentary on the fancam right next to him. Shouldn’t you be managing your guy chief? A Rhino sucks dick chant fires up from the crowd. Victory then hijacks the camera and wants to show us calling that guy a male fucking rat again. What is going on here? Rhino swallows chant follows that. RVD hits a nice looking bulldog on the apron from the ropes. RVD does some of his dive into the crowd spots that pop the fans. Corino and Fonzie get after each other and that could actually be a fun shtick match. Now Corino is going after the male rat. This guy is becoming the star of the show. Rhino times a gore really well after a moonsault attempt from RVD. I like Rhino on top and do think he is legit a top 4-5 talent in ECW at this point. RVD runs through his offense making a comeback and Fonzie even pastes Corino with a chair before the Five Star ends it. This had some good , a healthy amount of bad and a whole lot of ugly making it a pretty accurate encapsulation of ECW at the time. **1/4

It's early 2000s ECW wrestling in Louisiana, so of course there's homophobia. I'm not offended by it so much as I am bored with it. At least homophobic crowds in the territories could appreciate could wrestling matches. This awful crowd can't even do that and only pops for table spots, rendering them completely useless. It's such a distraction that I can't even focus on the match and find it too difficult a watch honestly. If you want to see parts of a wrestling match in between a cameraman arguing with a fan and calling him a male rat who sucks dick, this is the match for you.

• 2 months later...

I don't like Alfonso, but I do like the way he goes right over there and talks the angry "rat" fan down.

The fans are jerkasses, but I am amused at how Rhino doesn't seem to know how to handle their homophobic chants.

11 min in, RF goes after the "rat" guy?

This sucks. I'm turning it off.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-01-21-ECW-Baton Rouge, LA] Rhino vs Rob Van Dam