Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-01-29-WCW-Saturday Night] Tommy Rogers vs Kid Romeo

soup23

I’m a little perplexed Rogers wasn’t used by more of the super indies coming up and he still has a good look here and good basics. I thought the action here displayed by Romeo and Rogers was better than what Chavo through out there. Rogers even hits an overhead release pumphandle and some heel mannerisms which was encouraging. Romeo again blows one of his big moves in a hurricanrana and a sloppy pescado to the outside. Some miscommunication on a rollup pin where Rogers doesn’t really kick out but the referee says he did. Another rollup is the finish which makes me feel the referee blew it the first time. Rogers looked good here, Romeo did not. *1/4

I agree that Rogers would have been a great veteran in the coming indy boom. I really liked him a little older and with a bit of an edge here. Kid Romeo looks better here than he did against Chavo, but still messes up some stuff and looks nervous as hell. Rogers I do think had the "one last run" in him headlining super indies for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rogers controls things early including a nice pump handle overhead release suplex. Romeo ducks a clothesline, kick Rogers in the mid-section and climbs to the top turnbuckle. He blows a frankensteiner off the top and Rogers rolls to the outside to try and recover. Romeo with a pescado over the top rope to the floor and the two of them fight on the outside. Back in the ring and Rogers goes for a powerbomb but Romeo rolls all the way over and counters with a sunset flip for a near fall. Rogers reverses an Irish whip into the turnbuckles and charges at Romeo. He leaps over him, hooks his arms with his legs, and rolls through for another sunset flip, this time it being enough to grab the win.

Romeo was one of those guys I thought should have been given a shot by WWE but he looked real green here. Pretty athletic, but not much else. Rogers was the glue that held this together and even just about rescued that botched headscissors off the top. Whatever charisma the Fantastics had Rogers was lacking here, but that may because he was playing the heel to Romeo’s face. On the basis of this though, WCW should’ve hired Rogers to work with these youngsters at the Power Plant on a daily basis.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-01-29-WCW-Saturday Night] Tommy Rogers vs Kid Romeo