Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-12-MPPW-TV] Derrick King vs Chris Michaels vs Alan Steel

soup23

Cory wants to talk to one of the Young Guns. Here comes Derrick King who really should have been more of a man throughout the 2000’s. Really fun three way match here that did more for me than any of the OVW stuff so far TBH. King just looks so smooth and this match really made me realize that distribution limits still exist a bit in 2000 as someone like King now could be ripping it up on CWF Mid Atlantic or Nova Pro and at least be getting their name out there more. King ends up winning the Young Guns title after a little bit of miscommunication and a ref bump. **1/2

Derrick King with an effective pre-match promo that hints at a turn. I do like the idea of a Young Guns title if it's treated as important. You can tell Power Pro has really ramped up the match quality since they are in a ratings war with MCW because this is a great workrate sprint you wouldn't really have seen in the past on Memphis television. Derrick King really looks terrific. He actually reminds me in some ways of a young Sean Waltman in terms of having both the old school territory style and the newer more flashy style and mixing them really well. For those who followed our comments in 1990-1991, you know that is no small compliment. One of my favorite things on MPPW TV so far. Chris Michaels and Alan Steel looked good too, but King was far and away the standout here. I hope he gets a match opportunity deserving of his talent at some point this decade. ***

• 1 month later...

Derrick King is awesome. Shame he's pretty much retired these days cause he would be good on the indies and possibly TNA. He held this together pretty nicely. Nice to see KAW vet Chris Michaels in this promotion. Allan steel took some nice pumps. Finish was awkward cause it seems the tape skipped some stuff. Of course, this match needed a ref bump. Good match.

Triple threat match for the Young Guns title (which Dave Brown informs us has been held up for some time). King starts out attacking both until a very nice Frankensteiner by Michaels to him. Steel and Michaels team up for a double belly to back suplex on King, bouncing him off the top rope, but he flips back over them only to be then caught in a double flapjack. Steel whips Michaels into the turnbuckles and charges at him, but Michaels jumps over the top rope and on to the apron to avoid. He leaps to the top turnbuckle and comes off with a reverse crossbody. King goes to break up the pin by dropping an elbow, but Michaels moves and he hits Steel instead. King clotheslines Michaels over the top to the floor, a backdrop sends Steel out as well and then a crossbody from the top out onto both. Steel and King return to the ring and exchange blows, and Michaels with a double clothesline off the top. Steel with a double back elbow from the middle turnbuckle and this could go anyone’s way. King slams Michaels and Steel with a big splash off the top, but the two then argue over who should be the one to make the cover. Superkick by King to Steel for a near fall, and Lance Jade is out to cheer on Steel. Michaels takes a tumble to the floor and Jade rams him into the ringpost. Steel ducks a clothesline and King nails the official for our customary ref bump. Sadly there’s a jump in the footage and we appear to miss something between Steel and Jade. As Steel is distracted by him, King with a facebuster for the win and he’s the new Young Guns champion.

I liked this a lot and a very nice change to the Memphis stuff we’ve seen so far. Fast paced and all three worked hard, busting out Junior Heavyweigh moves and bumping for each other. I spotted at least three jumps in the video and a damn shame that two appeared to be at significant points of the match. Good match and would have been even better without those jumps.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-02-12-MPPW-TV] Derrick King vs Chris Michaels vs Alan Steel