Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-12-MPPW-TV] Robert Gibson vs Tommy Rogers

soup23

Bless Gibson still having the RNR coat with NWA on the back of it. Gibson claims that him and Ricky WERE the greatest tag team. Robert is being a little heelish here which is exciting. Tommy Rogers comes out and calls him Ricky. Lol. I really love this back and forth and the tension that is building. Tommy says he will cancel his match and they can wrestle right now to prove who the better team is. Now Roger is calling the fans losers because they are chanting Rock N Roll. A referee comes out and we have a match. Robert has next to nothing left in the tank here in 2000 and here we are in 2017 and he still is doing indy shots. Tommy again should really have been doing IWA-MS shows working with the likes of Vic Capri and Ace Steel. After some back and forth, the referee kicks Gibsons’ arms and Tommy gets a sunset flip pin with a fast count. Tommy is clearly the heel now. Awesome Memphis bullshit. **

I crack up that I understand every third word or so that Robert Gibson says. I do have to agree with his point that Dave Brown sort of stirred this up, though. It's funny that you can have a singles match to figure out the best tag team. I love The Fantastics, but Tommy Rogers should be told that sometimes when he wasn't looking, Bobby Fulton would team with his brother and pretend Tommy Rogers didn't exist. Gibson doesn't look terribly older than he did 10 years before this. Tommy Rogers wins after hooking the tights after they were hinting at a Gibson heel turn. Well, I hope everyone watched this match before submitting their tag team ballot last year because that result objectively proves The Fantastics were better.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Robert Gibson joins Dave Brown and if you ever wondered why Ricky Morton did all the talking just watch this! Gibson talks 100 miles per hour, mumbles over his words and makes little sense. He’s still living in 1987, talking about how the Rock & Roll Express beat the Road Warriors, the Midnight Express and the Russians. When Dave mentions the Fantastics as another great team, Gibson dismisses them. Tommy Rogers is out to join them and Gibson changes tact and says how it’s good to see him. He claims that Dave has been trashing the Fantastics while he’s been sticking up for them. Rogers tells him that he’s known Dave a long time and he’s not like that, plus he was watching backstage on the monitor and saw everything. The two of them argue over who the better team was, with Rogers saying that the Fantastics won more matches, while Gibson responds that they were six time World tag team champions, until Tommy offers to cancel his match today and they can settle it themselves. A referee enters the ring and after a few more verbals the match is on.

Gibson with a backdrop, an elbow followed by a big slam for a two. DDT then a schoolboy for another two. Gibson goes for a backdrop but Rogers reverses it into a backslide for a two of his own. Rogers with some boots to Gibson and he rams his head into the turnbuckle before Robert throws him out of the ring. Shoulder to the mid-section and a sunset flip back into the ring. Gibson grabs the second rope but the referee kicks his arms away and fast counts him down as Rogers cradles him whilst hooking the tights. Post-match Rogers tells Dave Brown that the Fantastics are the best, were the best, and he’s just proved they’re still the best. Gibson responds and all I’m able to understand is him mentioning that Rogers grabbed his tights and there is no way the Fantastics could beat the Rock & Roll Express.

Just as this was getting going it was all over. I enjoyed the action between the two of them but wish it would’ve gone longer. I can understand the referee kicking Gibson’s arms away, but not sure why he would fast count him, unless he’s a Fantastics fan! I hope this is something that got explained later as it makes no sense for and ‘impartial’ referee to behave like that.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-02-12-MPPW-TV] Robert Gibson vs Tommy Rogers