Pro Wrestling Only

Sting helps TNA set new record high rating.

sek69

Guest Dangerous A

Good for them. They are getting more eyeballs to watch their product. Now can they get said eyeballs to buy ppv's.

This also says a little something about how spoilers. This was the second show of the tapings and all the 'net people knew Sting was coming and what he'd be saying and it broke 1.0 in the rating.

This is great news but there comes a time when they have to decide if they want to stay where they ar eat or continue to climb. With Jeff Jarrett on top, they will not acheive much more. Sting was great for the short-term, giving them the highest TV rating and supposedly the best PPV buyrates they have ever had. But when Sting is gone and JJ is still playing his 1999 gimmick, how long will these new fans stick around?

Guest Dangerous A

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Spike has given TNA a lot of new viewers and exposure, but buyrates for the ppv's since coming to Spike have not changed because none of the new viewers have been compelled to buy.

In last week's observer, it stated that a large percentage of the new viewers were UFC fans who are staying around to watch TNA. If higher ups were doing their jobs and keeping track of things like business trends, perhaps they'd also tweak the booking so that it's more real sport based as opposed to WWF circa 1998-lite.

Guest Dangerous A

I think we have to wait for Against All Odds to get an idea of where the company will be headed.

I think getting a second hour is key for them now.

There is a good question for this thread...

Which is more important to TNA's growth, a better timeslot or a second hour?

Obviously in a perfect world, they'd get both. However, which one is more important to TNA? Better timeslot makes it easier for people to find your show, but a second hour lets you build things up better (provided your booking is sound and not shoddy) and get more characters and storylines over for ppv.

A second hour I think is more important. They could probably bring in more buyrates with more time for matches and storylines.

Though now that I think about it, being in a position to make money off of tv when they renew their contract in the fall is really important as well.

What's the highest Velocity ever did on Saturday?

1.2, but that was on June 29th 2002.

It's funny seeing the dickheads on various boards that predicated TNA would be getting 0.4s now trying to downplay them getting a 1.1.

I probably fall in that category somewhat. :) It's good news, but more important is whether they can sustain the rating in future weeks when Sting isn't around and after Sting has made plenty of appearances for them. It's probably just a one week spike for Sting's first national TV appearance in almost 5 years and doesn't mean anything unless it helps them get a better time slot. It's a good enough rating that bringing in Sting hasn't been a failure in the short term, but it's not big enough to make Spike TV really stand up and take notice.

With regards to the question over time slot or 2 hours the best thing for them would be to follow The Ultimate Fighter in a 1 hour prime time slot, because of the crossover with UFC. I'm sceptical that they would be able to sustain their ratings for a whole 2 hour show at this point, especially if a lot of their viewers are UFC fans who watch just because it is on after Unleashed.

Of course, the best thing for this company would be to bring in someone like Chris Jericho or Brock Lesnar to replace Jeff Jarrett as the top guy and use them to make Samoa Joe and AJ Styles into bigger stars, but unfortunately TNA management is as short-sighted and stubborn as WWE management, so I'm not holding my breath.

Wade Keller is reporting that TNA is going to get a 1 hour prime time TV slot for Impact on Spike TV on Thursday nights from 8 to 9pm Eastern when Ultimate Fighter 3 starts in April. Ultimate Fighter will probably be at 10pm with an episode of UFC Unleashed preceding it. An official announcement should be made very soon. Dave Meltzer had been reporting that Spike TV were considering this a few weeks ago.