Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-07-NJPW-Dome Impact] Jushin Liger vs Kensuke Sasaki

soup23

All of Liger’s run through the juniors has led to this. Sasaki has been on a role in 2000 but this was probably my least favorite performance of him as I didn’t think he did much of anything to make Liger feel like a threat. The booking on this show overall was really atrocious. Much like Fully Loaded 3 months later, they are trying a 3 match series of the young guys/ juniors going against the established guard. Much like Fully Loaded, the younger group goes 0-3 and it stunts a lot of their momentum. Thinking back to the Chono vs Sasaki interactions, I wish they just would have ran that match here and hey Liger vs Muta isn’t a bad matchup on paper either for the undercard. Sasaki kicks out at 1 of the brainbuster and then Sasaki runs through his finisher combos and finishes Liger off with a brainbuster buster with little reaction. Really disappointing. ***

All that Black Liger squashing for this? This is a solid match, but I hate it anyway, because the tradeoff for getting it was so disproportionate. They really went out of their way around this time to emphasize how useless smaller guys are. If there is a bright side, maybe it means this is all in the past? We'll see.

• 2 months later...

I watched this right after Ohtani vs. Kojima and just. . . what's the point? Liger being made to look like such an underdog here just undermines how he's been presented in every other situation.

I love how Liger fires up after his initial flurry fails but after that this largely settles in to the same sort of tropes that Ohtani/Kojima had. Liger shows some hope, runs through some of his big moves, Sasaki shrugs it off and just pins him. Fine.

This was disappointing.

**1/2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-04-07-NJPW-Dome Impact] Jushin Liger vs Kensuke Sasaki