Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-28-IWA-PR] Los Boricuas (Miguel & Jesus) vs Chicky Starr & Victor the Bodyguard

soup23

It is Puerto Rico wrestling so you know what that means, violence and blood. I am sure some context would help things here so maybe Boricua or Tim Evans can assist but for a parachute into the country after a couple of months, this was interesting to see. I am unsure who the official is here but he mists a team in the waning moments and then counts the fall. Honestly too tough to rank without knowing the context. NR

• 4 weeks later...

Puerto Rico matches from the 2000s will be a nice treat when we are able to retrieve them. I wish we had more of it and hopefully we'll get an unexpected gift there at some point during the project. Savio Vega is the referee in question. The match looks fine if unremarkable, but what stands out to me about IWA compared to WWC is that the production is much better.

• 1 month later...

So this is Chicky Starr and Victor the Bodyguard vs Miguel Perez Jr and Huracan Castillo Jr with Savio Vega as the ref for those that don't know. Chicky and Victor were together for years before Victor died in the mid-2000s. I'm guessing this was for the IWA tag titles. Not much of a match as it's JIP but Victor bleeds a ton. The Boricuas get into it with Savio and Savio channels TNT and blows the mist at the boricua. Hope to see some more IWA as I got into it in 2002 when it started airing on Sunshine Netowrk. IWA was way more popular than WWC at the time and would only get bigger until it bust and WWC was the last one standing.

• 4 weeks later...

We only get about seven minutes of action which is joined in progress. A neckbrace wearing Savio Vega is the official, while Miguel Perez Jr. and Jesus Castillo are the Boricuas and Chicky Starr and Victor the Bodyguard form the Starr Corporation. Miguel jabs Victor in the head with a kendo stick and you can see him blading himself with a razor that’s taped to his thumb. The Boricuas go to work on the bloodied Victor as they continue to try and wear him down. Miguel misses a twisting senton from the middle and Victor is able to make the hot tag. Chicky’s handling them both until the two-to-one odds are too much and Perez throws him over the top rope to the floor. Victor with a DDT on Jesus and Miguel is back in to break up the pin. The Boricuas hit their finisher (although it looked like Miguel may have dropped Victor and they had to improvise) and something is up as Savio counts three but raises only two fingers. Jesus gets in his face and Miguel then cracks him in the back with the kendo stick. He sits Savio on his shoulders, Jesus climbs to the top turnbuckle but Savio channels his inner Kwang and blows green mist in his face causing him to lose his balance. Savio frees himself off Miguel, blows more mist in his face and Chicky covers Jesus for the win (and possibly a tag title change).

The language barrier is an issue here, especially when it comes to trying to work out what went on when Savio counted the three. Was it the continuation of a storyline which has seen Savio screw the Boricuas? What went down that led to him wearing the neckbrace? I know IWA-PR is not something that we’ll be able to track week to week or even month to month, but despite the work being fine, you’re left with more questions than answers after watching it.

Note: The 3/9 match from IWA-PR was added  late, so this was watched before that.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-04-28-IWA-PR] Los Boricuas (Miguel & Jesus) vs Chicky Starr & Victor the Bodyguard