Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-05-11-IWRG] Villano III & Villano IV & Villano V vs Shocker & Scorpio Jr & Bestia Salvaje

soup23

This started much more like the matches that were happening in CMLL began with a big beatdown. IWRG certainly doesn’t shy away from running rudo vs rudo trios. Shocker and Villano III pair off and Shocker is really nasty digging into the eyes of Villano III. III continues to be a sympathetic figure and it looks like the Villanos are going to be defacto tecnicos here as we get mask ripping from the Shocker contingent. After they take the first fall, the Villano brothers come back with a vengeance in fall #2. These guys are great garbage brawlers and are able to make the brawling around the ringside area seem more dangerous and violent than any of the US companies doing the hardcore stuff mainly for comedy. Scorpio is busted open terribly as the third fall opens up with the Villanos flying around everywhere. Shocker has some juice too. Bestia and Villano IV have a mano y mano battle. Back inside the ring we get a great sequence culminating in III punching Shocker right in the face and hitting a clothesline. The way that you can tell Shocker’s team is completely gassed but yet has too much pride to back down is one of the endearing things about lucha. These guys are despicable but they aren’t cowards. Scorpio’s facials in particular are some of the best I have ever seen from him including the Santo feud from 1999. Bestia tries to end it by claiming a foul but no one is buying that. Scorpio and a Villano brother fight from the ring to the floor and again we are left with Shocker and III. Shocker actually gets the best of this exchange and hits a plancha on the outside. I have no idea who is going to take this now and am really engrossed. IV and V have submissions locked on but Shocker and III are back inside the ring and it appears III gets fouled allowing the Superguapos to win the match as Bestia and Scorpio hang on. God bless lucha. This may honestly be one of my favorite trios of all time. It had storytelling, blood, hate, wrestling on the mat and interesting finishes. ****1/2

• 3 months later...

What a total bloodbath this was. Scorpio channels Steve Corino as his blonde hair turns red. Lots of hate between these teams and the crowd doesn't not how to react. Villano IV and V get their masks ripped to shreads and Villano 3 does some nice brawling with Scorpio. Really fun IWRG main event match.

• 4 weeks later...

This was a very good trios match. There was quite a bit of intensity in this one with some good brawling and blood. I very much enjoyed the brawl that broke out at the conclusion of the 2nd fall that led into a climactic third fall. However, everything before that wasn't very noteworthy to me. A great finish here with Shocker pulling off the foul and getting the victory while the remaining Villanos had his partners locked up in submissions.

• 3 weeks later...

This was a good brawl. We've seen better brawls from IWRG over the years but this was definitely the best bout Villano III had been in since the electrocution angle. Blood was a major factor here as you had the rare sight of just about everyone in the match blading. It's funny because when you think of modern lucha you think of the lack of blood but that wasn't the case here. In many ways this was the perfect buildup match as they made a statement with all the blood but held back just enough for the singles matches. Well executed, as you'd expect from these pros.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-05-11-IWRG] Villano III & Villano IV & Villano V vs Shocker & Scorpio Jr & Bestia Salvaje
  • 3 months later...

I’ve been looking forward to seeing this match as I’m a fan of everyone involved.  I finally got to see it and wasn’t disappointed.  I feel this is more of a borderline classic than a stone cold classic but still highly highly recommended.  Scorpio Jr was clearly the highlight of the match imo.  He was such a prick but not cowardly.  Great blood, hate, awesome punches and a fantastic finish!  One of my favorites of 2000.