Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-05-28-IWRG] Villano III & Felino & Ciclon Ramirez vs Shocker & Dr Cerebro & Bomber Infernal

soup23

Shocker is the captain but doesn’t have his Gaupo friends so lets see how he works with some other opponents. We have Felino and Villano III on the opposite side so I am optimistic. This was used a backdrop to set up a good bit of stuff to come and mainly Villano and Shocker. Villano gets his arm worked over at first. I thought Ciclon and Infernal showed a good bit of fire here with Infernal blading and bumping around all over the place. Felino and Cerebro get into the fun a bit with Cerebro getting his mask raised. I keep enjoying the back and forth on the nut shots between Shocker and Villano. The refs refuse to believe Shocker as he winces in pain and then the finish of the third fall happens with Shocker creaming him with a kick and earning the DQ. I want a hair vs hair match between these two. ***1/2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This was another classic, old-school trios match. I thought it was some of the best trios wrestling of the year -- not from the standpoint that it was a MOTYC because, frankly, trios wrestling doesn't produce a lot of MOTYCs but because of the traditional structure. There was the rudo beatdown, the tecnico comeback, and the back and forth finale. There was brawling, blood, and dives all in the same bout and even comedy spots. The tecnicos looked fabulous during their comeback and the dives were better than anything we've seen all year, and this was all within the context of a bout which really only served to set up some wager matches. That's classic trios wrestling -- you run 3 or 4 of these on television and set up the big singles matches. All of the best apuesta feuds have had these lead-in matches and they add to the bouts immensely. Whether we get a payoff to all this is uncertain but it's fun to watch the storylines develop particularly in a style of wrestling that can be short on story at times. The Shocker vs. Villano feud harkened back to the days where guys would work all over the country and have different feuds in different regions and Ciclon vs. Bombero & Cerebro continues to be an unheralded surprise. I thought Ciclon looked bad in the late 90s IWRG I've seen from him but he is kicking ass during this stretch and it was fun seeing him buddy up with the dude who took his mask. And didn't Felino look like he finally had something to do?

• GSR changed the title to [2000-05-28-IWRG] Villano III & Felino & Ciclon Ramirez vs Shocker & Dr Cerebro & Bomber Infernal