Pro Wrestling Only

Chris Kanyon: "I was fired for being gay"

Guest savagerulz

It's not really that interesting of a story, he was annoying the piss out of people backstage and they don't want to have him following everyone around begging to come out of the closest on an episode of Impact.

He's acting like this "first openly gay wrestler" idea is a gold mine and can't figure out why TNA or Spike wouldn't want the chants that you know wrestling fans would come up with at such a character.

especially considering how big a role 1Bob plays in the company.

Actually Bob Ryder doesn't have any real power within the company currently and hasn't for some time. All he does now is the travel arrangements for the talent.

Poor Kanyon, I have absolutely no idea why TNA wouldn't want to use someone who makes public all his private business dealings with them while bitching and moaning about their treatment of him.

Guest Tha Cunnysmythe

Nah. Kanyon publicly coming out of the closet is no more declaring himself a homosexual to the world than Matt Hardy publicly dating Ashley Massaro is declaring himself a heterosexual to the world. In fairness, if celebrities should be discouraged from coming out, so should straight celebrities who wear wedding rings in public. Exact same thing.

I agree.

But I don't like people who seem to just come out so they can smack you in the face with it. Militant types. It's like 'get back in the closet, you were less of an asshole then', if you see what I mean. Some people just can't be who they are without trying to make others feel miserable for it. It's far from being specific (for want of a better word) to gay people, but this seems to be an example of it.

Good call, Cunny. Kanyon is wrong when he claims he's the only openly gay athlete; hell, he's not even the only openly gay American pro wrestler. He's just the only one who has announced it with such fanfare and tried to use his sexuality to reverse-blackmail a company into hiring him.

I don't really like TNA, never have (too much up-close exposure to what they were really like here in Nashville), but they're in the right here. Especially with Spike to worry about: somehow I doubt "the first network for men" would be terribly open-minded about such things.