Pro Wrestling Only

When Did It Start?

Mad Dog

Guest teke184

So somewhere between the Invasion angle and the HHH push in 2002?

You mean widespread or on occasions?

If you mean on occasion, it started with a lot of the Mark Henry stuff (the tranny, Mae Young).

If you mean widespread, it is still around that same timeframe... Late 1999 when they put the house on Triple H and started elevating him by making everyone else look like fucking morons and making him look good in comparison.

So what are some examples of WWE doing this? I think this would be a good place to compile all that anyone can think of.

Here's the ones that I can think of off the top of my head:

Making Henry's weight problems into an angle with D-Lo

Having Lita tell Rey that he's the inspiration for the Smackdown midget division (sure, everyone knows he's small, but it's best not to point it out in that manner)

Vince making fun of Orton's size during his injury

Ummmmmm.......I'm kind of drawing a blank here, even though I know there are loads more examples. Keep in mind I'm referring to what I feel are examples of intentionally exposing weaknesses. Stuff like giving Matt Morgan a stuttering gimmick when he has good mic skills, I don't put that in the same category. I don't think that they intentionally sabotaged him, just that they didn't use him to his potential and they unintentionally ruined his chances for success by trying to be funny rather than trying to create a good wrestling show.

Making Scott Steiner work a long match with HHH at the Royal Rumble in 2003.

About every HHH promo over the last 4 years has mentioned the weakness of another worker.

Having Goldberg go long and sell for the Rock at Backlash 2003

Having Brock Lesnar and John Cena going really long on PPV in 2003 despite how inexperienced both were.

A lot of Shawn Michaels comments towards Hulk Hogan.

Having Goldberg doing comedy skits and talking a lot during his entire run.

Fertig debuting as a singles wrestler after having spent most of his OVW time as a tag team wrestler.

Not letting the Heart Throbs talk.

Rob Van Dam's title match with HHH in 2002.

Encouraging fans to chant boring at Lance Storm.

That's just off the top of my head.

I think a lot of WWE's problems can be traced back to Vince deciding to only pay attention to the main eventers. It's been said that he only wants to hear about plans for the top guys, apparently not realizng that today's midcarders and jobbers are where tomorrow's main eventers come from. I think that's why guys get stupid gimmicks that have short lives, or are badly misused, they figure Vince isn't paying attention so who cares?

By the time guys get on Vince's radar they've probably been damaged by poor writing.

Guest bravesfan

Am I the only one who thought that chanting "boring" at Storm was a good idea? Honestly, they never gave a shit about him before. If they gave the crowd a chance to do anything that was interactive with him, he would be elevated after he finally snapped a few weeks later. At the time of that angle (summer of 2003), any reaction was a good reaction. The only RAW guy getting a consistent reaction at that time was Austin, who started the angle.

Hunter calling that abomination of a match he had with Van Dam at Unforgiven, has to be the start of the current trend. There were ways that Hunter could've gone over without exposing Van Dam the way he did. They should've worked RVD's match and had Hunter hold on for dear life, with the same Flair turn at the end to save the title.

Guest Famous Mortimer

Making Scott Steiner work a long match with HHH at the Royal Rumble in 2003.

About every HHH promo over the last 4 years has mentioned the weakness of another worker.

Having Goldberg go long and sell for the Rock at Backlash 2003

Having Brock Lesnar and John Cena going really long on PPV in 2003 despite how inexperienced both were.

A lot of Shawn Michaels comments towards Hulk Hogan.

Having Goldberg doing comedy skits and talking a lot during his entire run.

Fertig debuting as a singles wrestler after having spent most of his OVW time as a tag team wrestler.

Not letting the Heart Throbs talk.

Rob Van Dam's title match with HHH in 2002.

Encouraging fans to chant boring at Lance Storm.

That's just off the top of my head.

What he said, really. It's an appalling business model- the equivalent of a baseball team hiring the best pitchers in the game and then forcing them to play with their other hand.