Pro Wrestling Only

Matches where the wrong person went over.

Guest Alfdogg

• 1 month later...

There was a three-month window or so between Taboo Tuesday and the Royal Rumble where Edge was a hot heel, but when HBK beat him on RAW in that streetfight and HHH defeated him in a title match on RAW, people just sort of stopped caring anything about him. Now, he's just a heel that annoys everyone, but he's not really considered a threat. Having someone's entire character be that they can't get a fair shake title shot, only for them to get a few fair shake title shots and fail, is going to ruin them.

Guest Some Guy

Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho - WrestleMania XIX: Been mentioned a million times, but Jericho really, really, REALLY should've gone over here.

I think it was the right booking if they were going to do a PPV rematch that saw Jericho go over relatively cleanly. HBK didn't win with the superkick, it was a roll up. There was so much more that could have been done with that angle, which I thought was pretty good. They should have continued on with the story of Jericho idolizing Shawn and then have him figure out how to beat him in the second match.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Jericho should have gone over Shawn at WM XIX, without any doubt. Jericho needed the big win at WM more than Shawn did, and Jericho was the guy on house shows every night having to draw money. Even if they were going to have Jericho go over clean the next month at PPV, Jericho still should have won at WM, because he needed the win more than Shawn did.

I still can't figure out why Christian was squashed so thoroughly by Kane in their Gold Rush match.

I'm not completely disagreeing with Kane going over as much as I'm puzzled how Christian was clearly gaining momentum as a potential breakout heel only to get less offense than Iron Mike Sharpe.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

I still can't figure out why Christian was squashed so thoroughly by Kane in their Gold Rush match.

I'm not completely disagreeing with Kane going over as much as I'm puzzled how Christian was clearly gaining momentum as a potential breakout heel only to get less offense than Iron Mike Sharpe.

The betting line has that down to Christian being set to get drafted over to Smackdown, and so they don't want it looking like Smackdown is getting that big of a name, hence the squashing of Christian to devalue him.

Guest teke184

The betting line has that down to Christian being set to get drafted over to Smackdown, and so they don't want it looking like Smackdown is getting that big of a name, hence the squashing of Christian to devalue him.
And in the process, they kill whatever positive benefits that Smackdown can get out of him because he's seen as RAW's bitchboy...

This reminds me of Trips getting drafted by SD then getting traded back to RAW for roughly 5 guys (Booker T, the Dudleyz, and 2 others IIRC), which was handled completely off-screen and killed the impact of him getting drafted to begin with.

Yeah, THAT philosophy will make the Cena feud work. With Rey sidetracked with Eddy, who are they going to use to build up Christian for that feud anyway? I can't think of any babyfaces aside from Booker T who can put him over in the buildup, unless he gets some wins over Cena in some tag matches or something.

Yeah, that's what he said about Jarrett. Jericho's been accused of a lot of things, but I don't think anyone has ever said he isn't stiff enough.

I believe Austin's exact words were that he thought Jericho's style was too flippy floppy or something like that for him. I think Austin prefers his opponents to be more in your face rather than than have them be too acrobatic.

Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho - WrestleMania XIX: Been mentioned a million times, but Jericho really, really, REALLY should've gone over here.

I think it was the right booking if they were going to do a PPV rematch that saw Jericho go over relatively cleanly. HBK didn't win with the superkick, it was a roll up. There was so much more that could have been done with that angle, which I thought was pretty good. They should have continued on with the story of Jericho idolizing Shawn and then have him figure out how to beat him in the second match.
Shawn shouldn't be beating anyone in the WWF. He should be putting everyone over. Not beating everyone not named HHH.

Guest Some Guy

I wouldn't go so far as to say that he should never win, because if that were the case beating him would mean nothing. I do think the matches he wins should be more competitive and the ones he loses should be less so and have cleaner finishes. I don't see what Edge got out of beating Shawn by caving in a brief case on his head. It would have been more effective in terms of getting Edge over to have Shawn duck a brief case shot and end up spinning right into a DDT or whatever Edge's finisher is this week.

Guest Flyboy

The last WWE match I saw was Benjamin/HBK (watched it during 24 commercials) and I definitely believed that Shelton should have went over instead.

Guest Some Guy

Shelton should have gone over. Actually that match should be happening Monday night after building the tourney around it. But, it's probably a good thing they did it already considering HBK hurt his knee the other day.

He should win matches but he rarely jobs. He's gone over basically everyone on Raw and only puts them over in weaker situations. He never jobbed to Benoit one on one last year. He got his win back over Edge, he just beat Shelton Benjamin, he completely buried Hassan last month and he didn't even job to Jericho on PPV.

Guest Some Guy

When did he bury Hassan? I haven't seen Backlash so I don't know how that match went, but he took an ass kicking in the build up before Hogan made the save.

Be buried Hassan the entire month leading up to Backlash. He was either punking out Hassan every week or making him look like a non-threat during their matches. By the time Hogan came around it was more about them posing than even fighting Hassan.

Guest DylanWaco

Shelton should have gone over, but really the match shouldn't have happened on free tv at all. There is really no excuse for giving that match away when it is one of the only "up and comer v. old legend" matches that they had totally protected at the time. Morons.

Wargames 97 was mentioned by Loss, and that's a real obvious one for me. Growing up in the Carolinas it's sorta hard for me to even compare anything else to this as I actual had a few close friends of mine who used to watch the ppvs with us quit altogether after this match. As far as I know none of them have ever watched a ppv since and very little wrestling tv either.

Another one we talked about on another site recently was Tommy Dreamer jobbing the ECW title to Justin Credible. That was just an AWFUL decision as the crowd really wanted Tommy to have the belt and really hated Credible in the "please die in a fire" way not in the "you are a good heel" way.