Pro Wrestling Only

Dangerous Alliance-era WCW

Loss

Starting this thread as more of a reminder to myself than anything. I've been watching a lot of WCW TV from 1991-1992 the past few days, and I'm starting to wonder if DA-era WCW, while it was short-lived, was the best six months for consistently great heavyweight wrestling we've ever seen in the US. After I've made sense of everything, I want to put this all together as one cohesive post and go down the list one-by-one and make recommendations, but consider this roster, with everyone either in their primes or still able to go.

Heels:

Rick Rude

Steve Austin

Arn Anderson

Larry Zbyszko

Bobby Eaton

Cactus Jack

Terry Taylor

Mr. Hughes

Vader

Tracy Smothers

Ricky Morton

Faces:

Sting

Barry Windham

Dustin Rhodes

Ricky Steamboat

Nikita Koloff

The Steiners

Ron Simmons

Brian Pillman

Marcus Bagwell

Guys like Simmons and Zbyszko really get the shaft when people talk about good workers. Larry Z specifically has a rep for unconditional stalling, but watching these matches, which are all pretty fast-paced and steady in action, has shown that he really has another side to his game. I like Zbyszko as a staller anyway, because I think he's brilliant and great at getting heat, but I'm going to make some match recommendations later for Zbyszko for anyone who thinks he just wasn't that good.

I do already know, however, that from the perspective of having hot crowds, over wrestlers, great angles and great matches, I can't really think of any time period in WCW that was better.

Guest savagerulz

I have "WCW TV" tapes that cover all of 1991 and 1992. It was an outstanding era and the time I properly got into WCW as a better alternative to the product that the WWF produced.

Arn and Zbysko were an awesome tag team who carried the most average of opponents to really good matches. The Simmons push opposite Luger worked superbly and those two had a great match at Halloween Havoc. The War Games involving the Dangerous Alliance was superb.

You've got Sting, Austin, Simmons, Rude, Windham, Rhodes who was a really good rookie and developed insanely quickly at this point no matter what anyone else might have you think. The Steiners were incredible at this point in their careers too. Cactus working his ass off every chance he got. Steamboat too.

I loved this era.

Guest Dangerous A

Was this entire era booked by Watts? I am foggy on what time period Watts was booking WCW, but know he was there for part, if not all of this era.

What impressed me most is the way they mixed young guys and veterans so well. The vets had to work hard to keep up with the young guys, while at the same time the younger guys get to learn because they're working with such experienced talent. And it's so easy to hide weaknesses in 6-man and 8-man tags, of which there were dozens around this time. Austin was far from great at this stage, but he was never put in a position to be exposed before he was ready, as the majority of his TV matches were tags, even when he was the TV champ. They made Bagwell seem like he might actually have a future. I really wish multi-person matches happened more often, because it's a great way to do a big-name main event without giving away too much for free. They're also usually better than most singles matches. Lucha seems to have this concept down perfectly, WCW had it down around this time as well. With all the new guys in WWE who just aren't that seasoned, I wish there were more chances for them to get in, do their thing, and get out in two minutes while paired with a vet to carry the match.

Guest Dangerous A

It's also easier on the body, because it's easier to do a 6 man tag where each guy works about 5-7 minutes and you get a 20 minute match as opposed to a one on one match that goes 15-20 and the two guys do all the work themselves. Japan does lots of tag matches on tours and save singles matches for the end of the tour or whatever big show they are promoting.

As you pointed out Loss, it's also a great way for younger guys to get experience working with vets and seeing first hand the tricks of the trade, while preserving their bodies somewhat.

Was this entire era booked by Watts?

No, as Watts actually phased out the Dangerous Alliance when he became booker. Dusty Rhodes was the head booker from spring 1991 for just over a year. Checking the Torch archives Bill Watts took over in May 1992 after the Wrestle War PPV.

Guest DeanColes

Saw all the Worldwides from that time thanks to WWE Classics on Sky, never seen a "B" show with as great a combination of matches and angles, only wish I'd taped the shows.

Recommended stuff

Nov

Barry Windham vs. Larry Zybszko

Rick Steiner vs. Lex Luger

Bobby Eaton vs. Johnny B. Badd

Sting vs. Cactus Jack "Submit or Surrender"

Rhodes/Eaton/Zenk vs. Anderson/Austin/Zybszko

Austin/Anderson vs. Rhodes/Eaton(Eaton heel turn)

Eaton/Anderson/Zybszko vs. Zenk/Pillman/Graham

Dec

Ricky Steamboat vs. Bobby Eaton

Austin/Anderson vs. Fabulous Freebirds

Cactus Jack vs. Arachniman

Steve Austin vs. Todd Champion

Ricky Steamboat vs. Bobby Eaton

Jan

Ron Simmons vs. Steve Austin

Rhodes/Steamboat/Simmons vs. Anderson/Eaton/Austin

Steiners vs. Cactus/Abdullah

Rick Rude vs. Marcus Bagwell

Steve Austin vs. Ricky Steamboat

Ricky Steamboat vs. Larry Zybszko

Bobby Eaton vs. Marcus Bagwell

Young Pistols vs. Zenk/Pillman

Feb

Rick Rude vs. Brad Armstrong

Vader/Cactus/Taylor vs. Simmons/Van Hammer/El Gigante

Ricky Steamboat vs. Larry Zybszko

Sting vs. Vader(Feb 8th)

Ricky Steamboat vs. Cactus Jack

Van Hammer/Chip/Todd Champion vs. Eaton/Anderson/Zybszko

Rude/Anderson/Eaton/Zybszko vs. Simmons/Josh/Zenk/Pillman

March

Terry Taylor vs. Tom Zenk

Barry Windham vs. Steve Austin

Taylor/Valentine vs. Todd Champion/Chip

Steiners vs. Eaton/Zybszko

Cactus Jack vs. Brad Armstrong

Rhodes/Windham vs. Young Pistols

Rick Steiner vs. Steve Austin

April

Ricky Steamboat vs. Bobby Eaton(Steamboat slaps Madusa)

Rhodes/Windham vs. Vegas/DDP

Anderson/Eaton vs. Simmons/Big Josh

Vader vs. Marcus Bagwell

Terry Taylor vs. Tom Zenk

Taylor/Valentine vs. Freebirds

May(Had a Nintendo Top 10 Tournament)

Steamboat/Koloff vs. Smothers/Morton

Rick Rude vs. Terry Taylor

Bobby Eaton vs. Dustin Rhodes

Ricky Steamboat vs. Cactus Jack

Dustin Rhodes vs. Bobby Eaton

Vader vs. Nikita Koloff

Dustin Rhodes vs. Larry Zybszko

Steve Austin vs. Ron Simmons

Rick Rude vs. Dustin Rhodes

Were the other WCW shows as awesome as this?

The quality of work during this period really goes to show what a good idea it was by Kip Frey to give a financial bonus to the wrestlers who had the best match on a show. It gave the youngsters an extra incentive to improve and helped ensure the veterans didn't rest on their laurels and get by on name value alone.

Guest savagerulz

I liked the Watts era in WCW. Admittedly, a lot of it was down to the talent on offer, but the majority of the booking I actually enjoyed even though many didn't.

And yeah, the tv shows carried a lot of multi tags. Guys like Bagwell got invaluable experience from it and had any weaknesses covered in the process. It helped groom many of those guys a huge amount when they were so regularly working with the likes of Anderson, Zbysko, Eaton, Windham, Steamboat etc etc.

Guest DylanWaco

multi-man tags actually played a big role in getting The Radicals and Rikishi over as at least semi-credible main eventers in the E. When they are done right they really are a great way of enhancing people without hurting the credibility of more established workers.

The quality of work during this period really goes to show what a good idea it was by Kip Frey to give a financial bonus to the wrestlers who had the best match on a show.  It gave the youngsters an extra incentive to improve and helped ensure the veterans didn't rest on their laurels and get by on name value alone.

WP -- Wondering what kind of chaos would happen in the WWE if such a rule was implemented today especially considering how everyone is told to wrestle in this day and age.

I loved that rule. So simple but yet so, so effective. If I was in charge of any wrestling federation it would immediatly be implemented.

Guest Mike Campbell

This is slightly off-topic, but from what I've seen, the Rhodes/Windham tag team could really do no wrong it seems. Everything I've got that they're in (Clash specials and PPVs) seems to have good stuff from their end of things, even if their opponents don't seem to be up to the task. I'm really looking forward to seeing their WCW/NWA Tag Title win, which Will is sending me.