Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-07-02-NJPW] Jushin Liger & Kendo Kashin vs Shinjiro Otani & Koji Kanemoto

soup23

I understand the sentiment from other commentators that this is sort of dumb wrestling and the Otani/Kanemoto tags are points are tough to distinguish from one another. However, like Strong BJ in 2017, when they are in a tag match, I am also completely engaged and the stiffness and hatefulness that is conveyed allows me to pay attention. Here, everyone was going after each other and Kashin handles himself well. Liger being mixed in with these guys and not being super junior squashing everyone is a much better and enjoyable role and he has kind of quietly been having a great year even though he has some standout moments for sure. The finish here was great as an upset against the ultimate pricks and Kashin/Liger getting the win. ***3/4 (7.6)

• 3 months later...

This was another good juniors match.The Juniors matches in 2000 have been surprisingly gritty and this was no exception. I'm not sure when the change happened but somewhere along the way they ratcheted up the hatred and animosity toward one another in lieu of the flashy stuff. I'm not sure how well it worked in real time but it makes for interesting viewing in 2017.

• 1 month later...

This one had its fun moments, like Ohtani and Kashin's European uppercut battle, Liger puttign Kanemoto in the surfboard stretch and Kashin rubbing the wrist tape across the face from the apron, the pissy Ohtani bodyslams to set-up the signature facewashes. When Liger's in peril and the fans are chanting his name, Ohtani comes in with his springboard dropkick and immediately drags him back to his own corner. Great stuff. They ramp up the finishing stretch with lots of big offense, especially from Kanemoto, but in the end, Liger hits the brainbuster for the win after a little help from Kashin.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-07-02-NJPW] Jushin Liger & Kendo Kashin vs Shinjiro Otani & Koji Kanemoto
  • 1 year later...