Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-12-07-WWF-Philadelphia, PA] Hulk Hogan vs Terry Funk

Superstar Sleeze

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan vs Terry Funk - WWF, Philly 12/7/85

It is pretty crazy that Vince ended up with every NWA World Heavyweight Champion (save for Tommy Rich) from Dory Jr. through Flair running around in his territory. It is always interesting seeing what a Jack Brisco or a Harley Race ended up doing in the incredibly different WWF. Terry Funk was no different and it sometimes borders on surreal to see him in the WWF ring, but especially so against the Hulkster. Funk is also one of the few Hogan opponents that got Hogan to incorporate his spots and work more his style of match. No doubt because Funk was a more respected wrestler and someone that Hogan could trust. Funk worked three different criss cross spots all in a row that were each hilarious. First is a favorite of mine, the running so hard that you fall over the ropes. The next I had never seen with Hogan repeatedly stepping him on the drop down and the finally is his perpetual criss cross spot. Funk continued his terrorizing of ringsiders including Gorilla Monsooon. Hogan was very entertaining during the shine. I loved him laying a couple elbows down on Funk's hat. I find Hogan on offense a lot more fun than Hogan selling. I think that's usually my major malfunction during his matches. He is clearly putting in the effort during his heat through selling, but his inability to bump and the fact that he never really gets that beaten up hurts the drama. Funk hits a piledriver and a sleeper for his big spots before the Hogan comeback. There seemed to be some miscommunication with Hogan clearly wanting certain spots, but Funk wanting to do things his way. Eventually Hogan gets the megaphone and blasts Funk. Post-match, Funk does brand Hogan! Hogan and a steel chair send them packing, but surprised Hogan got branded. Fun Hogan title defense with some really good classic Funk spots.

• 1 year later...
A fun little match made to show off the champ Hogan thrashing the dirty heel Funk. It's fun seeing Funk play rag doll for Hogan and he never fails to bring his charismatic charm to any match that he's in. He sells like a million bucks for Hogan. Hogan on his part is the cool and charismatic champion, sitting at the top of the roost. Not much to this match other than a fun showing from both guys.

• 2 months later...

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan vs Terry Funk - Philly 12/7/85

This is pretty surreal that this even exists. Hogan at the peak of his powers defending against middle aged & crazy, former NWA World Champion and All Japan mainstay, Terry Fuckin Funk in Philadelphia of all places. It is just wild. It speaks to Terry's career at just being everywhere. You can say that Jimmy Hart was the most successful manager in WWF of the 80s guiding Greg Valentine, The Hart Foundation & Honky Tonk Man to title reigns where Heenan had to wait until 1989 before his first. However, Hart never really got a crack at Hogan and this was probably his best chance at the championship.

Just perfect blend of comedy and insanity from Funk and Hogan just goes a long for the ride. Funk attacks Mel Phillips, a cameraman and almost comes to blows with Gorilla. Hogan elbow drops Funk's cowboy hat, catches a chair from Funk who threw one in the ring and ends up branded when all is said and done. Funk Is flying over ropes, falling on his ass and gets stepped on by Hogan repeatedly during one of the funniest criss crosses you will ever see. When it comes time to get heat, Funk gets heat. Ties Hogan up in the ropes, attack on the outside, uses the tape to choke. Nice piledriver gets two. It is the sleeper that climaxes the heat segment. Hogan rams him into the buckle. It is a non-traditional Hulk Up because Funk is always squirming, but Hogan big boots him to the outside. Funk catches the ropes as he is suplexed in and falls on top of Hogan for two. The Mouth of the South wants to get the boot into the ring, but Hogan gets it and wipes out Terry Funk for the three. Funk is pissed and attacks Hogan and brands him. Hogan is red hot now and gets a chair to run them off. I don't think they ran any follow up in Philly, which is weird. I wish Hogan would just let loose in some of these brawls. You can see from Harley Race matches especially and the Kamala matches, the mutahfucka can brawl. This match with Funk could have been a corker if he just let loose. Still a lot of fun especially watching Funk make an ass of himself and a good finish. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1985-12-07-WWF-Philadelphia, PA] Hulk Hogan vs Terry Funk