Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-10-20-JCW-Battle at Becton] Low Ki vs Reckless Youth

soup23

When you think of the bevy of very good indie matches we have in store for us throughout the decade, this match more than any other represents the template for those. A smartly worked match that intersperses grappling and strikes. Low Ki was able to showcase all of his arsenal and had Reckless as a base to do it. Reckless also did his heeling act which has been impressive in a variety of settings in 2000. The heel ref stuff with Hanson was a dose of Attitude Era mixed in that was unwanted but before that, the work was solid and satisfying. ***1/4 (6.7)

• 3 weeks later...

When I saw this match listed I had to watch it immediately, Reckless Youth the established Indy Superstar vs. the up and coming Low Ki. I really enjoyed this match, Both guys worked a good match with some great spots throughout. The Phoenix Splash to the floor by Low Ki was great, and I enjoyed the ending. Looking forward to seeing more Indy wrestling that I have not seen with the Superstars of the future.

• 2 months later...

I thought this one was hurt a bit by the camera angles - made some of the cool spots, like Ki stopping the dive with a kick, or the Phoenix Splash, hard to see. But this definitely is starting to feel like the modern style we'd see over the next few years, with the mix of grappling, striking, and high spots. The finish stunk, though.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-10-20-JCW-Battle at Becton] Low Ki vs Reckless Youth
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

JCW Heavyweight title match, Reckless Youth, ‘the King of Independents’, challenging the champion, Low Ki.  Reckless has got some choice words to the fans, not impressed with the response they are giving him.  He says how for the past eight months he’s been in Memphis and the fans there were an awful lot more respectful than the pieces of trash in this rat hole of a town.  Whether Low Ki likes it or not he’s taking the night off, there will be no flips or no dives to the outside because he’s not getting paid enough to work that hard!  Nice reversals by Reckless who ends up grounding Ki with an armdrag take down.  The test of strength sees both men display textbook neck bridges before Ki boots Reckless in the gut and looks for the Dragon sleeper, “a terrifying move” according to the commentator.  Reckless scrambles free but Ki catches him with a huracanrana.  Ki gets backdropped over the top rope to the outside, however as Reckless goes for the suicide dive, Ki jumps up and kicks him in the head.  Considering ‘Mr Memphis’ said that he wasn’t being paid enough to work that hard, I was expecting him to tease the tope and not actually go through with it.  Back in the ring Ki lights Youth up with some more kicks.  Handspring kick in the corner and Reckless rolls out of the ring to recuperate.  Phoenix splash to the floor is missed by the cameraman, plus I don’t think he caught Youth much with it anyway.  Apron DDT by Reckless.  Ki blocks the suplex and Reckless is able to get to the ropes as he again looks for the Dragon sleeper.  After a butterfly suplex Youth locks on a rear chinlock variation, grapevining Ki’s left arm with his leg.  He’s too slow heading upstairs mind as Ki nails him with a kick.  Reckless fights off the attempted superplex and front suplexes Ki to the mat.  Flying knee to the back of the head.  Ki floats over and at the third time of asking looks to have the Dragon sleeper finally cinched in.  Not quite, Reckless squirming over towards the ropes and outstretching a leg to force the break.  Mafia kick followed by a top rope rana, the challenger still having a bit of fight left in him, as he kicks out of the cover at two point five.   Ki misses a clothesline and Reckless spikes him with a Michinoku Driver, at which point Billy Reil joins the commentators to watch his mentor and trainer “now that he’s in control”. Lousy timing on ’Highlight’s’ part as Ki almost immediately hits a ‘Ki Krusher and then locks in the Dragon sleeper.  Reckless pokes referee Sean Hanson (the long haired scruffy one) in the eye, moments before he starts tapping furiously.  Ki thinks he’s won but is unaware that Hanson didn’t see the tap.  He lifts Youth’s limp body for a second ‘Ki Krusher’, however takes too long and Reckless counters it into a small package for the three, becoming the new JCW Heavyweight champion in the process.