Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-05-01-AJPW-25th Anniversary Show] Jun Akiyama vs Hiroshi Hase

superkix

Based on the two best dudes involved in this match-up, I went into this fully expecting something really solid but I was left more than disappointed. Between shitty pacing, meaningless matwork, which, unfortunately, the low energy of it permeated into the crowd, and an awkward vibe that I can’t quite put my finger on, this match had a lot working against it. That being said, this match wasn’t bad. I liked the subtle one-up manship throughout, the smacks traded, and the crowd-poppin’ suplex exchange. This was, more or less, the Hase Show, as he works in his giant swing after Akiyama unsuccessfully tries to slap his way out of it. I love watching Hase deliver suplexes and he gets in quite a few toward the end, including a big dragon suplex for a nearfall. But Akiyama’s comeback is ridiculously fast after taking about five suplexes in a row and he hits a sheer-drop Exploder for the win. This was okay.

• 1 month later...

I actually thought the opening mat exchanges were the highlight of this match. Akiyama lost his calling as a shootstyle grappler, and it's really nice to see an All Japan match open with guys working leg rides and fighting over single legs and the crowd reacting to the small victories in all that. But after that... man, fuck this match. Anytime someone he gets hit he starts no selling while continueing to block incoming hits with his face. Some long and meaningless legwork ensues, three dozen suplexes are thrown... fuck that suplex exchange. With a VENGEANCE! Man, I hate wrestling.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-05-01-AJPW-25th Anniversary Show] Jun Akiyama vs Hiroshi Hase
  • 1 year later...

Watching this based on FXNJ voting this in his Top 100

Jun Akiyama vs Hiroshi Hase - AJPW 5/1/98

It is pretty ballsy to wrestle a completely different style on the biggest show of a promotion's history. This is New Japan through and through. The best possible New Japan style matwork at the beginning. I love how tentative they are at the beginning, even cautious about interlacing fingers. They were jumping to takedown attempts, they are working psychological aspect of amateur wrestling. The actual wrestling was amazing. Makes me want to see Fujiwara vs Hase, which has to have happened at some point given their overlap in New Japan, right? Some really beautiful transitions on the mat that feel really organic. Hase busts out the inverted Figure-4 and slaps Akiyama, very New Japan. Akiyama does really well on the mat, definitely better than Misawa or Taue would, probably better than Kawada and Kobashi. This is a very Hase-style match. After Hase works the leg some including a Mutoh style Indian Deathlock with a Bridge into Facelock. A nice little firefight of slaps and chops breaks out. Hase wins this and executes his famous Giant Swing which is always a crowd-pleaser. 15 minutes through and I can say if you love 90s New Japan Strong Style and Hase's work in general, you will really love this as this is probably the best possible version of that style so far. I picked a very funny place to pause because the match took a very abrupt turn when I resumed. 

Hase and Akiyama both have the Exploder and the Northern Lights Suplex in common. After a very matwork-heavy start, each one just busts out two Exploders and they just go crazy. The Dome loves it! Hase kicks the knee and Akiyama returns with a dropkick to the knee. Akiyama works the leg. Two Figure-4s. The second one sees a Push-Up battle in the Figure-4 which I find amusing. Akiyama willing relinquishing the hold I do not find amusing. What I find even less amusing is that Hase went to the Keiji Mutoh School of Selling and just casually stops selling as Akiyama kicks the knee. It would be one thing if he hulked up. He just treated Akiyama's kicks like they were not even happening. Hase gets a Northern Lights Suplex but cant hold the bridge because of his knee and the second one he holds, but kick out. The Dragon Suplex is Hase' big nearfall. Akiyama at least has the decency to bellow when he stops selling Hase's kicks and he does a real Hulk Up. Double Arm DDT and ONE Exploder win the day!

I liked the economy of the finish and the first 15 minutes was breezy and different. Once they traded Exploders they lost me and the legwork was very by the book and Hase was not committed to selling. Theres too much good to call it bad, but disappointing does ring true. ***1/2