Pro Wrestling Only

Best WW(W)F/E matches of all time?

Guest DylanWaco

Guest DylanWaco

This came up as the possibility for the next poll at smarkschoice the other day and I'm curious about what matches people think would be the favorites to win it all. I'm guessing Bret/Austin Mania would be the frontrunner, but I could see some backdoor support for Iron Sheik/Slaughter. I've been thinking about the list in general lately and how it would actually be alot of fun, but really hard to construct. I wonder how high Rock/Austin Mania 17 would fit.

Guest Kevin Cook

I like the match where Gene Snitsky and Kane fell off the stage through a table in a big show-ending angle, only for us to see, as Jim Ross was shouting that they'd fallen into the pits of Hell, Snitsky prodding Kane and shouting, "Glenn! Glenn! Are you alright?"

The Edge/Matt Hardy shoot fight was pretty good too.

Guest DylanWaco

My favorite lucha match is the one where the two Mexicans do flips and wear masks.

Find El Hijo Del Perro Aguayo vs. Mistico on Youtube.
Actually, lucha novice that I am, I like Mistico way more than most of the more involved lucha fans..so I probably will watch that match.

I have a soft spot in my heart for crazy spot machines that work really fast and seem ahead of the curve. Shit I even like Dutt and Amazing Red.

Guest Kevin Cook

I actually had a point. My favorite WWF matches break down into three categories:

1) Actual great matches. There are very, very few of these. I'm not anti-WWF in any sense, it's just that they're not about wrestling, really. There are dozens of All Japan matches that are better than the best WWF match. This doesn't mean I'd rather watch the 43rd best, or even the 13th best, All Japan match than the best or 50th best WWF match, but they have put on very, very few great matches.

2) Matches that are better than they should be. The WM 3-way, Austin/Hart, lots of Hogan matches? these just don't hold up in some senses to lots of other wrestling that I've seen but they get across the epic goofy sense of grandeur that only the WWF does right. There are a fair number of these.

3) Unintentionally entertaining matches. This would be the vast bulk of my favorite WWF matches. I would simply much rather watch the Snitsky/Kane match I mentioned than some crummy, *** Shawn Michaels or Bret Hart match. It's what WWF does best.

Comparing wrestling from an entire country over a period of decades to wrestling from a company notorious for putting on crummy matches is pretty silly. There's no equivalence between Mexican wrestling, on the one hand, and WWF wrestling, on the other.

I really enjoyed Los Fabulosos.

Clearly the only way to get El Dandy over in the states as he wasn't a good enough wrestler... Well done Easy E or Russo, not too sure who was in charge at the time.

Guest ohtani's jacket

Adonis/Backlund, 1/82

Adonis/Murdoch vs. Briscos, '84 (probably my favourite tag ever)

Bret vs. Owen, WM X

Bret vs. Owen, Cage Match

That's it -- never seen Sheik/Slaughter or Backlund/Muraco, haven't seen Perfect/Hart, KOTR '93 in a long time.