Pro Wrestling Only

AAA Classics

Grimmas

I picked up the 10 volume AAA Classics, which essentially covers mid 92 till the end of 93.

Might as well hand out some thoughts along the ways.

Volume 1

Mascarita Sagrada, Octagoncito, & Angelito Azteca vs Pirata Morgan, Jerrito Estrada, & Picudito (7/3/92)

Yes we start with minis, so this set is perfect for me!

Morgan and Estrada are pissed at each other and Picudito has to try to keep the peace with the rudos. Sagrada doesn't give a shit and goes right in there, hits a dropkick then a somersault plancha. The other two tecnicos do hurrancanranas to pin the other two. Sagrada gives a nice little slap after to end the first wonderful fall.

As with most minis, the rudos are the larger team and that is essentially how they take advantage in the second fall. Estrada is holding up Sagrada for Morgan, but he refuses to do shit due to the fight with Estrada. Luckily Picudito is there to help out. I love that Estrada wrestles in the vest. Can we all just agree Sagrada is fucking great? Whether it's his selling or his amazing offence, he can deliver. They get to the floor and Estrada is choking out Octagncito with wires, and Azteca makes the save with a fucking broom. I like the switch up of a short first fall and a longer second fall. Estrada and the rudos use the broom and dickishness to win the second fall.

Third fall picks up the pace and brings the comedy of the rudos just fucking up and Estrada and Morgan accidentally nailing each other over and over. The match just kind of ends or the footage does, no idea what the ending is here.

Really fun for the length of time it got.

Psicosis, Picudo, & Heavy Metal vs Winners, Super Calo, & Thunderbird (8/14/92)

We get entrances and each one is glorious! Winners coming out to Rocky music. Psicosis with some bad ass imperial march thing. Thunderbird dancing with a fan. It's all fucking awesome! Super Calo coming out last to his awesome rap and a girl dancer wearing face paint was the best! Although Calo without the hat isn't as cool, he does have the glasses though.

Heavy Metal and Winners start off with some good matwork. Metal looks so much younger and cooler here compared to 1996. WTF happened? They get a lot of time, until we get Winners off an Irish whip just slapping Psicosis and them going to the floor looking to kill each other. They get separated and then Metal does the same to Calo before everybody tags out giving us Psicosis and Thunderbird. Classic behind the refs back cheating by the rudos, but it seems like Thunderbird and Psicosis are pretty even. The crowd is fucking hot for this. The Calo and Picudo segment picks everything up and the rudos get the first fall which ruled! During all of this the middle ring rope broke.

During the rest period they just take off the middle rope all together.

We start the second fall with everybody in the ring with a rudos beat down and they freaking do a Shield power bomb spot. Finally we get a bit of a comeback thanks to Winners taking over and Thunderbird having some great fire. Psicosis takes a huge face first bump into the steel post, twice. Just savage. Calo tries to take off Picudo's mask and essentially does it off a whip into the turnbuckle. Tecnicos get the win.

Did I mention Winners slaps Piscosis really well? Just damn! Lots of nearfall attempts in the third fall Psicosis does an atomi drop which Calo either fakes or was low blowed, he sold it huge none the less. Tirantes doesn't believe him regardless, so the match continues. A lot of the break up attempts on submissions are really stiff here. What's shocking about this to me is how great Psicosis was already and how green Calo was. So, everybody takes turns bumping to the floro with Psicosis taking the biggest one, and now the dives come. Each dude just killing himself. I loved that the dives were saved up till now, but they ruled. Everybody is getting counted out, and keeps getting pulled back outside, but Winners sneaks in for the win for the tecnicos.

I fucking loved this! It built well to a tremendous finish and everybody worked mega hard. Afterwards we all shake hands and raise each others hands, except Psicosis who says fuck this shit and walks away. That's when the Calo rap group comes to the ring and dances with Calo!

It should be a good learning experience for me, following along with this. AAA is almost a total blind spot in my case, other than totally obvious stuff like Rey vs Psicosis.

Unfortunately, lack of knowledge also means I'll have nothing to contribute to the discussion. Looking forward to reading more, though.

It should be a good learning experience for me, following along with this. AAA is almost a total blind spot in my case, other than totally obvious stuff like Rey vs Psicosis.

Unfortunately, lack of knowledge also means I'll have nothing to contribute to the discussion. Looking forward to reading more, though.

To me, I think this fits nicely into your new character thread. I think fans at the time were so ga ga for the spots/pace that they totally overlook the character a guy like Psicosis put into his work with his behavior and reactions. I read reviews from the time and it feels like they're only watching half the match.

To me, I think this fits nicely into your new character thread. I think fans at the time were so ga ga for the spots/pace that they totally overlook the character a guy like Psicosis put into his work with his behavior and reactions. I read reviews from the time and it feels like they're only watching half the match.

I hear you. I remember thinking at one time in my tape-trading days (very early 2000s, probably) that EMLL/CMLL sounded like the fed for stories and characters while AAA was more for the spectacle. Hence the massive blind spot, even though the handful of AAA matches I have seen were not just empty flash.

• 2 weeks later...

Angel Azteca, Misterioso, & Volador vs Fishman, Blue Panther, & Mascara Ano 2000 (8/14/92)

To be honest I have never seen Fishman before and I had no idea he was a rudo at some point.

The match starts with Blue Panther shoot punching Azteca right in the face, holy shit! Rudo beat down on Misteioso has an interesting false hot tag, like we are in the Carolinas. Don't usually see that. Beat down continues on Azteca who gets into the ring and more false tags. A few hope spots, but the fist fall is all rudos, including Panther using a chair on the floor. Tecnicos had no shot.

Second fall stats with Azteca faking a foul on Panther, that Tirantes doesn't buy. Rudo beat down continues with Panther ripping up Azteca's mask. Azteca makes a comeback and starts to remove Panther's mask. Do these two have a mask match at some point? If so I need to see it. Looking through results, they don't. That sucks! Misterioso and Fishman have a fun sequence, with Misterioso doing the old skin the cat back in. Of course Ano 2000 nails him with a huge stiff punch again. Volador hits a huge top rope into an armdrag which was awesome, but then missed a dive to the floor. Pace picks up, leading to tecnicos tying up the match. That doesn't stop Panther and Azteca going to WAR on the floor. These two HATE each other.

Azteca and Panther continue to brawl and rip masks into the third fall. The match gets less exciting as the partners change up, but gets awesome as it keeps coming back to Azteca and Panther. Misterioso and Volador hit decent double topes, leaving Panther and Azteca alone again. Azteca gets a nice nearfall on an inside cradle and then hits an Asai headbutt for the win.

These had moments of awesome, but some slow stuff too. It was really more of a story match to set up the future (which never comes :( )