Pro Wrestling Only

[1988-03-11-NJPW] Hiroshi Hase vs Nobuhiko Takada

Superstar Sleeze

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Hiroshi Hase vs Nobuhiko Takada - NJPW 3/11/88

Takada is scary over in this match. Like build a whole promotion around him over. That's exactly what happens in the 90s. We are two months away from the rebirth of the UWF in May of 1988. 

They do everything they can to protect Takada in this match. Hase goes full heel jumping him before the bell with a lariat. Second Lariat and Takada goes into oversell mode. Knocked loopy. Big Takada chants through the three sleepers. Takada is totally discombobulated and this looks to be a rout. 

Takada reverses an Irish Whip and chops Hase in the face. Belly to belly Suplex! He goes for a series of holds: Single Leg Crab, Armbar and cross armbreaker. The way they just lie in the cross armbreaker drives me nuts and to make even it worse Takada voluntarily releases the hold.

The finish stretch is pretty exciting. Some really good Takada kicks. I liked the one that Hase catches and Takada turns into a wicked Enziguiri. Takada gets a ton of big nearfalls: Crossface Chickenwing, teased count out win and a Dragon Suplex (ref got wiped out so crowd got the visual three). The crowd was eating up Takada through all of this. Which is weird the Japanese usually cheer for whoever is selling. Scary over! To me they unconvincingly get Hase back on offense he wins with a Northern Lights Suplex but Takada kicks out right at three.

Strong action throughout definitely the positive. Thought the match lacked personality common complaint for Takada but very strange for the charismatic Hase. Takada's strike and throw offense looked great and was exciting. I thought they poured it onto thick for him to lose. It undercut the finish. Takada was super over but on his way out so they were handcuffed. Good offense but don't expect a classic. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1988-03-11-NJPW] Hiroshi Hase vs Nobuhiko Takada