Pro Wrestling Only

I Know How To Increase Buyrates

Mad Dog

Stop doing rematches just a week later. Smackdown tonight featured 3 matches that were on the Great American Bash card. Booker/Misterio was also on Smackdown last week for a grand total of 3 matches in 7 days.

Gee and they wonder why buyrates are in the tank and the UFC does so well. Why is someone going to drop $40 on something when the results will either be undone or you can see the rematch within a week.

The UFC is drawing good buyrates right now because they offer unique matches and you can only see the high profile fighters live on PPV. If you don't buy that PPV then you have to either wait for the DVD or wait until the rerun makes it's way onto tv 6 months later. Maybe the WWE should consider that model to and bring back squash matches.

Guest Kevin Cook

I don't think they can increase their buyrates right now. Think of it this way? they're down to around 120,000 core domestic buyers. How many of those are sports bars and the like? I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have something around 70,000 core domestic buyers?which is probably below their core audience. They're in negative numbers, and have run everyone off. There's no quick fix for that.

Oh there's no quick fix to this issue. Even my way would probably take several years to train the fans again. But I think it's a definate issue. The PPVs are too expensive and they offer nothing for your money. How many people spent their Friday pissed off that they could've skipped the PPV entirely and still seen 3 of the matches on free tv?

At least when WCW was on the decline, they were trying new (and often ridiculous) things on a weekly basis, so the shows never really got boring. WWE is still clinging to the formula they've used for nearly a decade, and they're in denial that a problem even exists.