Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hits New Low

Mad Dog

WWE SIGNS RETURNING STAR FROM ATTITUDE ERA

by Mike Johnson @ 1:00:00 PM on 8/4/2006

Jeff Hardy has signed a new deal to return to World Wrestling Entertainment, paving the way for a reunion of one of the top tag teams of the Attitude era, The Hardy Boyz.

http://pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=19533&p=1

This move completely reeks of desperation. I say he's gone within six months as he either fails a drug test or no shows and gets fired.

The Hardyz sold so much merchandise and had such a money-spending demographic in their hands from '99-'01 or so that I'm curious if they could have made that Austin/HHH feud work with more time to build it and Austin and HHH willing to sell.

That feud ruined them, well Jeff more than Matt. Jeff at that point still had upper mid-card potential as a singles and he fell completely off the face of the earth after those IC hotshots where HHH made sure he looked like a total fluke. Funny how just a little over a year later HHH was scoffing at the belt but had no problem with it when he got to bury two of his big threats.

Guest teke184

This isn't a new low, although it's a step towards total mediocrity.

Anyone want to lay odds on Jeff no-showing a PPV or two like he did in TNA?

Lita taking those chairshots was pretty awesome at the time. Hard to say what was better between that and the miracle match with Dean Malenko.

That was probably the most heelish Austin and HHH looked during that time too.

This news, while unexpected, doesn't surprise me. I remember during the recent brief return of the Ross Return that JR said something along the lines of "We hope Jeff's back someday" or something like that, so I'm sure the lines have been open for a while.