Pro Wrestling Only

The New ECW is Good

sek69

Despite all the crying from ECW "fans" (most of whom probably never watched the original ECW) who want to dub this a failure, ECW is by far the best wrestling show on TV. Now granted, Smackdown is a bit decimated due to injuries and bad livers, but ECW is about a millon billion times better than both of the two main brands right now.

Even the bad (Al Snow seemingly sandbagging Kevin Thorn and Angle hilariously avoiding contact on the Van Daminator) was better than watching the McMahon Family Theater Show that's taking over monday nights.

So typical of you again acting like you're the authority on who are real fans :rolleyes: Calling ECW fans, fake fans is complete BS. Same as calling them mutants. Seriously, the act is getting old.

There are fans who like the old ECW, others never did. Some fans like McMahon and trip, some like the soap opera BS that the WWE has become in the last 10 years, others don't. You can like this new ECW all you want, that gives you no right to call ECW fans fake fans because they don't like it.

I've never seen it myself but looking at the crap workers on the cards, Mike Knox, Test, constantly showing the same 6 wrestlers on every TV show, I'm sure I wouldn't. I'm not a fan of WWE either, haven't liked it since 1994. And I wasn't a fan of the old ECW either, well I liked it better than WWE but still only watched a handful of shows. But I'm not gonna go and call you a tool for liking the new ECW, that would just be stupid. It's all about taste.

I agree and disagree with you.

The show isn't good. It's so forumla to the point where I know the gist of what happened every week because they do the same thing every week. The wrestling is sucky for the most part and they focus on the same 4 guys every week. Velocity had better matches and really all this is is Velocity. Though I hated the original ECW and this is about the same level as what ECW was for most of it's run. So I'll be honest and say it had no chance of me liking it. Garbage wrestling isn't my thing.

I do agree with you though about the mutants crying about it. They really come across like morons for actually believing the old ECW was coming back. Anyone with any sense knew what was coming and we got what we expected. I'm sick of hearing all the whiney mutants and the mutants that are too young to have every actually remembered watching ECW when it was actually on. It's funny watching them pay good money to Vince so they can go and stick it to him by crapping on the shows. Yeah you really showed him by putting another $50 in his pocket.

The worst part of this revival is that it brought the mutants out of their basements and back onto the web. I used to hate dealing with them and I have to deal with them now. I remember when ECW was on it's last leg that they all claimed it was anti-ECW propaganda about how Heyman wasn't paying the workers. Even when a worker said so themselves it was still propaganda.

Anyways. You want the old ECW go trade for tapes. It's that simple. Either get tapes or kick yourself for not supporting the product when it was around. I hated ECW quite a bit and I STILL went to a house show when it came to my town. That's more support than a lot of mutants ever gave it.

So typical of you again acting like you're the authority on who are real fans  Calling ECW fans, fake fans is complete BS. Same as calling them mutants. Seriously, the act is getting old.

I'm no authority on "real fans", it's just tiresome to be constantly reading about how the old ECW was the best promotion that ever lived and the new incarnation is a failure because it's not being booked the way they want it to be. It's very tiring to see people bury things without even giving them a chance. "Oh Vince is running ECW, it's going to be horrible"....and yeah a few of the early shows were less than stellar, but you can't tell me last week's show (which was in front of a crowd of OMG MUTANTZ~!) was one of the best hours of WWE TV in a long time.

There are fans who like the old ECW, others never did. Some fans like McMahon and trip, some like the soap opera BS that the WWE has become in the last 10 years, others don't. You can like this new ECW all you want, that gives you no right to call ECW fans fake fans because they don't like it.

I call them fake fans because it's very obvious by the way they talk about the product that they either weren't watching the old ECW when it was on, or they're looking at it today through some very thick rose colored glasses.

I've never seen it myself but looking at the crap workers on the cards, Mike Knox, Test, constantly showing the same 6 wrestlers on every TV show, I'm sure I wouldn't. I'm not a fan of WWE either, haven't liked it since 1994. And I wasn't a fan of the old ECW either, well I liked it better than WWE but still only watched a handful of shows. But I'm not gonna go and call you a tool for liking the new ECW, that would just be stupid. It's all about taste.

So you've never seen the new ECW, and you weren't a fan of the old ECW, and you don't even like WWE.

.......so that means your whole reply was pretty much a troll then?

So you've never seen the new ECW, and you weren't a fan of the old ECW, and you don't even like WWE.

.......so that means your whole reply was pretty much a troll then?

I haven't seen a show of the new ECW and couldn't be bothered with it. Not worth downloading or buying a tape IMO. I was a casual old ECW fan, watched some shows on TNN. Don't like WWE indeed. I'm an old WWF, NWA, WCW, and puro fan.

Reply a troll? Why? Really, why? I shouldn't tell you that calling old ECW fans fake fans is dumb because I don't watch or didn't watch old and new ECW? That makes sense to you?

These so called fake ECW fans liked old ECW and thought that old ECW was coming back. Sure it was pretty obvious given McMahon's track record that it wouldn't be the case, although the initial ECW PPV last year was much closer to the old ECW product than the new ECW is. These folks were just hoping that it would be a better product to them, sure it's wishful thinking, but hey what are you gonna do. They obviously have checked the new product out as they're crapping all over it, so they did indeed give it a chance! They dislike it and want something else instead. That makes them fake?

Your generalization seems much more appropriate for a few ECW fanboys than the whole bunch of ECW fans as a whole.

The diehard fans, whatever you want to call them, had unrealistic expectations and then vented on every messageboard known to man when SHOCKINGLY those expectations went unrealized.

Reply a troll? Why? Really, why? I shouldn't tell you that calling old ECW fans fake fans is dumb because I don't watch or didn't watch old and new ECW? That makes sense to you?

What doesn't make sense is you making such a spirited defense of a group and its fans you have no interest in. It would seem you wouldn't have much of a reason to defend them so vigorously unless it was a pretext to start some sort of interweb argument.

...and I wasn't calling all old ECW fans fake, just the ones who make it seem like it was the American equivalent to 90s AJPW, and the ones who claimed to be down since day one yet lived in an area that didn't get ECW TV until it was on TNN (and already on its last legs).

As an old diehard ECW fan, we were given the hope that it was going to be Paul Heyman running the show and said that it had to be Paul E.'s baby or it wasn't truly ECW.

Obviously, it's not Paul E.'s baby.

That being said, the pieces are all there for ECW to be significant. Enough of the older guys to bring about what ECW was all about, some up-and-coming young talent, some hot chicks (well, Ariel at least).

Two things are killing it for me: The insistence on pushing guys like Test who weren't any good in WWE either, and the fact that ECW rules are only in effect once a week on an ECW show.

The Heyman vs old ECW guys feud is giving guys like Test and Mike Knox a chance to get the rub in the traditionally ECW hardcore environment.

Other than sporting a physique that can't possibly get past the Wellness Program for very long, I see nothing wrong with pushing Test.

Guest bravesfan

Other than sporting a physique that can't possibly get past the Wellness Program for very long, I see nothing wrong with pushing Test.

I really don't see how anyone could get that much more over in the role Test has now. It's a terrible feud with terrible workers. You might as well get the name recognition with Test and attempt to get Knox over (isn't he the pet project of Heyman?).

Guest DylanWaco

I really don't see how anyone could get that much more over in the role Test has now. It's a terrible feud with terrible workers. You might as well get the name recognition with Test and attempt to get Knox over (isn't he the pet project of Heyman?).
Haven't seen much Sandman in recent years,but he's been a good worker for the bulk of his career.

Guest bravesfan

Wait a second.  Using Test to get someone over?

I never thought I'd hear that sentence uttered.

Not that they care about the guy, but at least they know the name and associate him with something they've seen from the company.

Sandman and Dreamer playing babyface to Test and an unknown is tough as it is. Playing babyface to two unknowns direct from OVW would be even worse.

The new ECW is definitely getting on the right track, but to say it's the best wrestling show on TV is laughable.

Until the Hammerstein show last week, it seemed like nothing was happening except that Heyman had 'sold out'. Okay, so the McMahon crap on Raw is tedious and boring, but Heyman ordering handicap matches and making unfair conditions for the faces isn't exactly groundbreaking TV.

To me, the DQs are just terrible. Not every match has to be crazy and hardcore rules, but it's ECW for a reason. What's extreme about Mike Knox, the Vampire, Test, and at least one match per week seemingly ending in a DQ? It could be leading to an upcoming old-school ECW guys vs. the new guys feud, but for now, it sucks plain and simple. It just seems rediculous that the entire build-up to this year's One Night Stand PPV was "WWE guys can't handle the EXTREME rules of ECW!" and then they tack on lame DQs each week.

you can't tell me last week's show (which was in front of a crowd of OMG MUTANTZ~!) was one of the best hours of WWE TV in a long time.

The first half of the Hammerstein show was great. Then Angle squashed the Brawler, and Big Show and Batista had a match that was only entertaining because of the crowd. Call that show's first half hour one of the best half hours of WWE TV in recent memory, and then I'll agree.

Like I said, it's on the right track: No more redundant Kelly Kelly segments (for now), Punk's looking good after his debut and build-up promos, and there's finally a real main event feud not including Raw/SD guys, which I've been enjoying so far.

What doesn't make sense is you making such a spirited defense of a group and its fans you have no interest in. It would seem you wouldn't have much of a reason to defend them so vigorously unless it was a pretext to start some sort of interweb argument.

...and I wasn't calling all old ECW fans fake, just the ones who make it seem like it was the American equivalent to 90s AJPW, and the ones who claimed to be down since day one yet lived in an area that didn't get ECW TV until it was on TNN (and already on its last legs).

The issue I had with your comments is that it seemed way too much of a generalization to me and to a degree I do call myself somewhat of an ECW fan as I did watch a few shows and did enjoy seeing matches like RVD vs. Sabu back in the days. Anyhow, it was certainly too vague and now as you put it, being a comment directed at a small portion of ECW fans who assumed that the real ECW was coming back and bashed you, then I have no issue with and was mainly hoping that you clarified the statement as I didn't think you were calling out all ECW fans as wishful thinking idiots.

That made me laugh out loud, after all, pushing Test has been done before, about 753 times and all have failed. The guy doesn't look so bad, he's tall, fairly well built, has a good boot, decent elbow and the absolute worst pump handle slam of all times. I really don't know what makes him so bloody boring.

True, loss, but more than that, fans just don't give a F about him. You can hear crickets when he's in the ring.

Test is in the same league as Giant Bernard, Buchannan, Tomko: Big guys who should be pushed as monsters. Once the public sees that they aren't, they flag them as tossers. Because they sure as heck won't get over as great wrestlers or great on the microphone.

You just totally missed the point of what Loss said. Go find a tape from the summer or fall from 1999. Test was incredibly over with the crowd. Even at the 2000 Rumble he was still really over. But people stopped caring after he was completely castrated by HHH and then not used for the next year a half in any meaningful way. He might've been over in TNA but I don't recall.

It's hard for anyone to get over if you're not given a reason to get behind them. Remember when Helms was mega over so they jobbed him until he wasn't over anymore?

Guest wnyxmcneal

I've been to two of the new ECW shows, and I never watched one minute of the old ECW.

To say it's the best wrestling on TV is pretty laughable. It has its moments and the occasional good match, but most of it is pretty bad. It's just one hour, instead of being stretched to two

It might vary from week to week, but SD was depleted, RAW has become the McMahon and DX Show, and Impact tries to cram as much as they can in one hour.

ECW has been the most consistent show of the last few weeks, and if that offends your sensibilities, too bad.

You just totally missed the point of what Loss said. Go find a tape from the summer or fall from 1999. Test was incredibly over with the crowd. Even at the 2000 Rumble he was still really over. But people stopped caring after he was completely castrated by HHH and then not used for the next year a half in any meaningful way. He might've been over in TNA but I don't recall.

It's hard for anyone to get over if you're not given a reason to get behind them. Remember when Helms was mega over so they jobbed him until he wasn't over anymore?

I couldn't be bothered to do so but I remember seeing him live once or twice around that time and even his home crowd didn't give a damn about him.

The only time I remember him getting some pops was around the Test vs. trip match and it seemed much more of a reaction of the crowd going against trip than pop for Test.

Guest wnyxmcneal

It might vary from week to week, but SD was depleted, RAW has become the McMahon and DX Show, and Impact tries to cram as much as they can in one hour.

ECW has been the most consistent show of the last few weeks, and if that offends your sensibilities, too bad.

It's been consistently bad if that's what you mean.

There hasn't been one good ECW show yet. I don't see how can you like an ECW that's going out of its way to not have Extreme Rules matches. I had to witness a Balls Mahoney singles match, it was not pretty.

I usually enjoy SD! every week, and again, to say ECW is the best thing out there is laughable.

And the Hammerstein show was not one of the best hours of TV. I was there, and aside from the opening match, it sucked. Credible got way too much offence in the match against Punk, and Batista v. Big Show, while fun to heckle, was an abomination.

Last week's show had a good Angle v. Sabu match, but the rest was just boring.