Pro Wrestling Only

Andre vs. Maeda

JHawk

Andre the Giant vs. Akira Maeda (4/29/1986)

This is the famous match where Andre doesn't sell for Maeda, and Maeda gets pissed and starts kicking the fuck out of him.

What are everybody's opinions about this? My thoughts: Obviously Andre wasn't as tough as most made him out to be, although he was past his prime at this point.

NOTE: This is in four parts and I've only linked to part 1.

I've watched this, and Andre appeared to be drunk. I did a review of the match on the old board (which seems to have disappeared into the mists of time), and I felt bad for Maeda since he has a rep for being an asshole who shoots on people due to the other incedents he's been in but he truly had no choice here. He's in a ring with at near 500 pound guy who's not co-operating and he doesn't want a drunk-ass Giant to get his hands on him. There's a few spots where Maeda almost gets killed by Andre's non-cooperation, he ends up doing what he has to do to protect himself.

Guest The Metal Maniac

Oh wow, I feel bad for that dude.

He's like reaching out towards Andre to start grappling or whatever, and Andre is just kinda glaring at him. Fucking scary.

And what the hell are they paying that other announcer for? You've got one dude ranting on like crazy, while the other just goes "Ai" every time he pauses.

Andre vs. Maeda, Thoughts?

It's a shitty match. That's what I thought the first time I watched it. Andre is like a beached whale.

I'd feel sorry for Maeda, but as Yohe has often pointed out, he made his reputation by repeatedly being an asshole. That Andre and some of the boys in the back were an asshole to Maeda doesn't really warrant symapthy.

John

What I did notice is that even when Maeda started shooting on him, Andre didn't really do much except let Maeda kick him. Almost like he was supposed to kill him but didn't really want to.

But yeah, that was a shitty match. 26:37 bell to bell and maybe five minutes of contact.