Pro Wrestling Only

HHH tore his quad again

Loss

Keller:

Triple H is in Birmingham, Ala. right now having his leg injury from last night's PPV examined. Today's diagnosis is a quadriceps tear on the opposite leg of his last injury. He is scheduled to have surgery tomorrow.

He tore his other quad on May 21, 2001 and returned about eight months later. Typical recovery time for this injury is nine months. After surgery, he will be in a wheel chair for a month or two, then on crutches for another two months, and then wear a leg immobilizer for another stretch of time, before moving into the rehab stage.

If he follows a typical recovery time pattern, he won't be able to return to action until around October 2007, missing WrestleMania and Summerslam.

The tentative main event for WrestleMania was Triple H challenging John Cena for the WWE Title. That will not happen now, obviously. A new WrestleMania main event will have to be devised, and the DX gimmick will probably be discontinued, barring Shawn Michaels "recruiting" a new member to take Hunter's place.

Vince McMahon and Kevin Nash suffered similar quad tears in recent years. Nash was out nine month. He did not continue wrestling his match when he tore his quad. Hunter did, putting other body parts and his opponents at risk of injury as he finished the match. Hunter wraps his knees tightly before wrestling to protect the knee, but it could also conceivably lead to a tendency to more easily tear a quad. It also might stabilize his legs even with a torn quad so he was more able to complete a match than someone suffering the same injury without his knees wrapped. Having suffered the same injury on his other leg in 2001, he probably immediately knew what happened.

Michaels, meanwhile, has shown signs of being very worn down by the schedule and in need of time off himself, increasingly so over the last year. The Triple H injury puts more pressure on him to work through his fatigue and nagging injuries (including continuing issues with his lower back, which forced his retirement at one point) at least through fall.

Knowing Hunter he will rush back in fear of losing his spot. I'd say he's back by June/July. Interesting to see if he will stay in Birmingham this time as he now has a wife and daughter. Obviously this could affect business because Steph could potentially be away from creative.

Yes, I'd say so. It was 8 months or so before he shook off the ring rust and was back to his normal speed, or at least close to it.

I'd put the time it took him to regain his form down to the fact he added way too much muscle to his frame while off. It looked like Dr Andrews had removed Hunter's quad and attached it to his torso.

Anyone know the deal with Dr. Andrews, by the way? Is he the physician of choice because he doesn't hassle about steroid abuse, or because he's cheap, or even something wholesome like that he understands the frame of mind of wrestlers better than other doctors. Just curious since he's done nearly every major wrestling surgery of the past 20 years or so.

I think it's just because he's the best in his line of work.

And don't point out that Hunter was risking his opponents safety with some of his moves due to only having one leg. People don't like that, it seems.

Did someone say that at some point? I'm reminded of when Test asked why HHH got to keep his hair long while all the midcarders had to cut theirs. That didn't go over that well either.

I was talking about TSM. I'm all for praising Hunter for toughing it out, but if you're going to do that you've also got to accept that if you keep going when you've only got one good leg then you're also risking the safety of the people you're working with.

I will give Michaels credit for keeping his cool under pressure. Someone made a good about DVDVR that he should be a referee because he tends to handle those situations quite well.

When Nash tore his quad by walking, Shawn was the only one in there who took the initiative to direct traffic.

A three to five month recovery time? Not unless he goes back to hitting the 'vitamins' really hard. Muscle tears take time to heal without significant help.

Anyone know the deal with Dr. Andrews, by the way? Is he the physician of choice because he doesn't hassle about steroid abuse, or because he's cheap, or even something wholesome like that he understands the frame of mind of wrestlers better than other doctors. Just curious since he's done nearly every major wrestling surgery of the past 20 years or so.

I'm pretty sure it's what HTQ said, he's just the best at dealing with that sort of injury (similar to how Lloyd Youngblood has become the WWE go-to guy on spinal issues).