Pro Wrestling Only

[2005-02-04-CMLL] Shocker vs Dr Wagner Jr

Vinnie B

I really couldn't tell who was tecnico and who was rudo throughout this. Both wrestled pretty similar styles, and I couldn't hear if the crowd were chanting 'Wagner' or 'Shocker'. I'll put it down to my own stupidity. This excelled in delivering some really slick and impressive power spots - suplexes to the outside, powerbombs, general feats of strength. It made a nice change of pace, but lacked the excitement of Mistico matches. Good but not great, for me. *** 1/2

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2005-02-04-CMLL Mexico City] Shocker vs Dr Wagner Jr
  • 2 weeks later...

This was an awesome match IMO. They went at an unbelievable pace from the whistle. The crowd was incredibly hot for this match cheering for Wagner from the start. The first two fall's went by pretty quick but there was some nice technical wrestling and quick bouts of quickness. Then in the last falls they started hitting each other some massive moves including a suplex on the ramp which looked painful. ****1/4 

• GSR changed the title to [2005-02-04-CMLL] Shocker vs Dr Wagner Jr
  • 5 years later...

This was the final of the La Copa Junior. I'm not sure what was up with Shocker's face paint but it must have been representative of something. 

What a great match. One of the best CMLL matches of the first half of the decade. The crowd heat was unbelievable. I can't remember seeing a final to a lucha tournament that was as good as this match. I'm sure there have been other matches, I just can't recall any. Shocker was an incredible big match worker and the promotion is going to miss him when he jumps to AAA. Fans of old school lucha may turn their nose up at this bout, but I liken it to the Cena vs. Angle bout from No Way Out. Given the limitations -- two quick falls and a long tercera, I can't imagine Shocker and Wagner coming up with a better bout. This isn't the last Shocker match to make tape before he leaves, but it's the most important. It's been a hell of a ride. I remember getting a comp of Shocker matches back in the day and thinking it was okay, but not the lucha I really wanted to see compared to 1989-92 CMLL, but finally immersing myself in the era, I can unequivocally state that this was very, very good. 

21 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I can't remember seeing a final to a lucha tournament that was as good as this match. I'm sure there have been other matches, I just can't recall any.

Hmmm...
Brazos vs Infernales was for the newly formed trios titles.
Atlantis vs Blue Panther in 1997 was the final of the Copa Victoria.
I loved Felino vs Mascara Magica in 1996 even more than those two matches, but I don't get the impression it's thought of on the same level.

There are probably others from 2000 and beyond that I've never even heard of. I never really thought about the subgenre of Mexican tourney finals before.