Pro Wrestling Only

All In

Loss

8 minutes ago, SomethingSavage said:

That match felt like a WWE main event in terms of action. It was framed very much in that way - except it was leveled up by all the hoopla, the entourages, the bloodshed, the ghost of Big Dust looming overhead, and just that fucking ATMOSPHERE it all created.

Nah, that felt like a big NWA World Title match from the 70s and 80s in every way.  It's clearly what Cody was aiming for and he nailed it. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure where the footage of those 70s and 80s title matches are hidden away then, because I sure haven't seen them.

That big elbow shot on the outside felt like the kind of counter you'd see -even down to the replay - in any monthly AJ Styles WWE match. The melodrama with Cody being caught in the Cloverleaf, but clawing his way toward the ropes - all urged on by his wife, calling out to motivate him - felt like something you'd get from Gargano/Candice or classic Savage/Liz or more likely fucking Shawn/Hunter or whatever.

This was Cody strutting his stuff, peacocking it up and showing what he could have been, even within the system. This was much closer to a WWE main event style match - or even those old TNA Planet Jarrett specials, which in turn were essentially aping Triple H main events in the first place - than any NWA Title match from the 70s. Maybe I'm overlooking one glaringly obvious example or something, but that's really just the feeling that struck me when watching it.

To be fair to your point, WWE main events have turned more into button-mashing, finisher-spamming festivals with a hundred kick-outs in recent years. So maybe my reference is irrelevant in today's landscape. But in traditional terms, it fits. And, like I said, it was just the feeling that struck me when watching it.

Either way, I liked it a good deal. It wasn't moving at a million miles a minute. It was more about the moments than the moves. The action was allowed to breathe. Perhaps most importantly, it stood out among everything else on the card, which really flexed some variety. This, like Slammiversary, blew away every main WWE super card of 2018. Impact's show was more satisfying, in the sense that it paid off conflicts and had the added strength of angles and grudges. But this was right up there in terms of feeling like a rewarding show for fans.

The match itself was laid out modern style, yes, I was referring to the build and the atmosphere leading up to it. Nick Aldis was the well dressed World Champ coming in to the territory to show that while the local star is great, he's not better than the champ. The crowd was there to see their guy beat the champ and that's what they got. 

The lesson everyone should take away is that despit 20+ years of Russo bullshit and lazy WWE writing, booking good wrestling isn't *that* hard. Companies just spent a long time making it that way. 

If you view your fans as the paying customers you want to make happy instead of an obstacle that needs to be overcome/swerved/talked down to, you're going to have better results. Granted, that's a bit easier when you're building to an one off show rather than a promotion that runs year round, but it's still a point that needs to be learned. 

Hahha i posted in the wrong thread.

Let me post something ALL IN related

Marty vs Okada might become the match that made Marty, to me it was a star making performance. It's one of the matches of the year. Marty is an underrated performer and when Okada wants to he can go out there and make his opponent are star. Marty lost and all we talk about is how good HIS performance was.