Pro Wrestling Only

Best Survivor Series teams?

Stuttsy

Might not be the absolute proper place for this, but it was clearly inspired by the Rumble thread so I figured I'd put it here, since I was watching Survivor Series 89 while checking out the board and I think there were some near-perfect teams in '89.

The babyface super dream team of Hogan, Roberts AND Demolition.

The smarmy prick heel magic of Rick Rude, Curt Hennig and the underrated Rougeaus.

Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka and the Bushwhackers all bonding in their mutual insanity.

I also always liked the Savage/Steamboat/Roberts/Beefcake/Duggan team from 1987 and the Owen/Bulldog/Jarrett/Michaels/Diesel team from 1994.

Who are your favorites?

I've never seen the 1989 Survivor Series, but Rude's Brood looks like a four man team that I would love to watch. The Hulkamaniacs squad also looks pretty great for the same reason you mentioned Stuttsy.

As far as what I've personally seen and enjoyed...

*Jannetty/Razor/Savage/Kid from 1993, although I'm sure I would like it a lot more if Perfect kept his spot instead of the spot going to Savage due to Perfect no-showing or something.

*Diesel/HBK/Owen/Neidhart/Jarrett as The Teamsters in 1994.

*Skip/Spicolli/Prichard/Kid and Holly/Hakushi/Horowitz/Jannetty from the 1995 show. Naylor mentioned on a different forum recently how Jean Pierre LaFitte was originally supposed to be on the heel team, I'm guessing instead of Dr. Tom, which would have been just as awesome. Both teams were great and got to showcase a ton of stuff in their match, which was pretty great.

*Shawn/Ahmed/Bulldog/Sid and Razor/Douglas/Owen/Yoko, also both from the 1995 show.

I remember really liking the "Wild Card" concept as as a youngster when this was just going on. I had just been watching wrestling for about 5 months at the time and couldn't imagine what it would be like for all the guys getting "scrambled up" as I put it and how it would work, especially Razor's team with "no friends on his side" or something like that. I was really geeked out over Ahmed too as I thought Davey would be jealous of how strong he was after he slammed Yokozuna on RAW.

Another side note to this, I remember watching the scrambled feed of the PPV as it aired while having a snack in my room. One second, I look down at my snack, when I look up, the feed is unscrambled during the Wild Card match. So I got to watch the majority of that match and the Bret/Diesel match for free, not a bad deal.

*Skip/Spicolli/Prichard/Kid and Holly/Hakushi/Horowitz/Jannetty from the 1995 show. Naylor mentioned on a different forum recently how Jean Pierre LaFitte was originally supposed to be on the heel team, I'm guessing instead of Dr. Tom, which would have been just as awesome. Both teams were great and got to showcase a ton of stuff in their match, which was pretty great.

I love love love that match. Actually, Kid (fresh off a heel turn from the Monday before the PPV) replaced Pierre. Prichard was advertised as part of the team from the beginning.

Another side note to this, I remember watching the scrambled feed of the PPV as it aired while having a snack in my room. One second, I look down at my snack, when I look up, the feed is unscrambled during the Wild Card match. So I got to watch the majority of that match and the Bret/Diesel match for free, not a bad deal.

Same thing happened to me during WrestleMania 8, the feed cleared up right at Flair's post-match insane rambling promo. Every now and then, you could luck out with that.

Jake, Snuka, Shawn and Marty if you like to take drugs.

WOW. I never even thought about that, but you're exactly right. The Vipers should've been renamed Substance Abuse.

I love love love that match. Actually, Kid (fresh off a heel turn from the Monday before the PPV) replaced Pierre. Prichard was advertised as part of the team from the beginning.

Oh okay, I thought the 123 Kid thing happened a couple weeks before, but now that you mention it, I do remember the Kid turning on Razor the Monday before Survivor Series. I don't remember much of the build up to that match (in the SLAM JAMS~! or any of the other hype to the show) so I didn't recall JPL or Prichard being advertised for the match. I totally loved that match last time I saw it and I really should get around to watching it again.

• 10 months later...

By the way, I clearly remember that Avatar (Al Snow) was supposed to be on that Jannetty/Hakushi/Horowitz/Holly team. But I think they replaced Avatar with Holly, because the Avatar gimmick wasn't getting over.

I always liked the Perfect team, Mr. Perfect & the three Demolition members (Smash, Crush and Ax). And yeah, that Teamsters team was great. Too bad they turned Diesel face.

I remember looking forward to the Bret/Bulldog/Piper/Virgil vs. Flair/Dibiase/Rougeau/Warlord from '91. Sure, both sides had one guy who was waaay crappier than the others, but the remaining good workers should've been able to turn it into something really fucking cool. Unfortunately, that was during the "Ric Flair accidentally wins all his matches via pure fluke" period, so we got the fucking lame mass-countout finish with everyone but Flair brawling outside to a 10-count.

My overall favorite would probably be Andre/Gang/Bundy/Rude/Reed in '87, just for the sheer badassedness of the heel side there. Sure, most of 'em were actually past their prime, but from a kayfabe standpoint, would you want to fight five guys who looked like that? They helped forever establish Bigelow as a top star that night, just by looking strong before losing to them.

I think Holly had something to do with that. I think I've read that he complained about Snow getting the spot, but I'm not sure.

The story I heard was that Holly threatened to quit before the Survivor Series, as he was unhappy with his push and payoffs at the time, so the WWF gave him Snow's spot to stop him from leaving.