Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-10-13-OTT-Fourth Anniversary Show] WALTER vs Will Ospreay

paul sosnowski

The second time Ospreay and WALTER meet in the ring, and once again it is a banger. Hell I would even say it was up to par with their incredible match at Defiant a few months ago. They tell such a compelling story with WALTER dominating on the mat while Ospreay can only get in big hits from the sky. This was on it's way to being a top 10 MOTY for me, but a few things held it back a bit. First off I don't think they needed to go more than 25 minutes. Their first match was only 20 and was just as enjoyable with a similar story. My other main gripe is the unnecessary overbooking towards the end. Even though Ospreay wrestles like a junior, it's so believable to see him have incredible contests as a heavyweight, ****3/4.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-10-13-OTT-Fourth Anniversary Show] WALTER vs Will Ospreay

Terrific match and one of the best of the year. After years of struggling to be a sympathetic face, Ospreay continues to deliver as an underdog. WALTER also did a great job of always as the big mean bastard but had an added touch of viciousness by powerbombing Ospreay on the stage and attempting to off it. I agree that the shenanigans at the end weren't needed especially with WALTER still going over and it was longer than it needed to be, but still an excellent match from two guys who have already had great years. ****3/4.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally was a big fan of the shenanigans. It added a layer of extra doubt surrounding the finishing stretch where it really could have gone either way and it upped the atmosphere as well. Really liking Ospreay's development into a much more clever worker, with a strong babyface performance here and spacing his big spots nicely. Great match, felt like something ROH might have put out in the mid 00s. 

****1/2

• 1 month later...

There are a couple of issues I have with this match; I think they went quite overboard w/ the nearfalls by the end & the whole restart deal was very silly, BUT that just says how great the thing was otherwise since I still loved the crap out of it overall. Ospreay bumps like a madman & delivers hard hitting & highflying comebacks as WALTER gives him a classic WALTER-style mauling with some really awesome heelish touches added to it, given his relationship w/ the OTT crowd. ****1/4