Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-05-EMLL] Angel Azteca & Super Astro & Kung Fu vs Emilio Charles Jr & Jaque Mate & Espectro Jr

Jetlag

Long, quality lucha that told a story. Early on Emilio Charles Jr. gets the better of Azteca during a wrestling exchange. Of course Angel takes great offense to this and immediately goes after Emilio. Azteca going out of his way to ram into Emilio with a huge forearm while in the middle of a rope running exchange with Espectro was straight out of the AJPW playbook. Of course Emilio Jr. makes him pay dearly later when he slaps the hell out of him during the beatdown. That along may have been the highlight of the match along with Aztecas bumping, including flying with his back into the edge of the ring apron. Of course Super Astro and Kung Fu also do lots of fun wrestling. Astro is such a trip to watch with the insane height on all flying moves, while Kung Fu manages to not suck doing his faux martial arts stuff and hitting weird/cool kicks, punches and leg trips. We also get the awesome and devastating tope to the floor from Super Astro aswell as Emilio Charles Jr. not falling for The Star.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-01-05-EMLL] Angel Azteca & Super Astro & Kung Fu vs Emilio Charles Jr & Jaque Mate & Espectro Jr
  • 2 months later...

Emilio Charles Jr. is also the very best. I don't know if he and Angel Azteca had beef coming in but Emilio winning an exchange fair and square leading to Azteca having a vendetta against him for the rest of the match makes me think Emilio may have pissed him off in the recent past. It was sort of an overblown response from a tecnico, but then this is Emilio and I'm sure he did something to deserve it. Thet moment where Azteca, mid-exchange with Espectro, turned to the rudo corner and smashed Emilio with a forearm was indeed great. Anybody else and you'd have said it was uncalled for. Emilio of course got his revenge during the inevitable rudo beatdown and I feel like you could easily slot him into that Arn Anderson category of guys who seamlessly go from stooge to killer in seconds. Super Astro was really fun with all of his bamboozling footwork and his springboards always look gorgeous. The big dive of the match was a tope to a prone Jaque Mate and he landed with all of his stockiness across Mate's upper body. He also had a cool opening exchange with Espectro where Espectro ribbed him for being tiny so Astro stomped on his bare boot. It's always a little surprising that Azteca never wound up being a superstar. He had pretty much everything you'd want in a masked tecnico and yet I don't really remember him doing anything of note after the Dandy feud. 

• 7 months later...

This match was a ton of fun.  Super Astro and Emilio Charles Jr were the big standouts on their respective teams for me.  Super Astro has great body control and was very impressive with his moves while Emilio Charles Jr was excellent at playing his rudo role here.  My only complaint here is that the 2nd fall doesn't seem up to par with the other two and doesn't seem to serve much purpose in the story of the match other than to even up the score.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:23 PM, KB8 said:

It's always a little surprising that Azteca never wound up being a superstar. He had pretty much everything you'd want in a masked tecnico and yet I don't really remember him doing anything of note after the Dandy feud. 

He kind of had the problem of being a similar wrestler to Atlantis and wrestling in the same promotion as Atlantis but not really being better at anything than Atlantis, who was an established star beforehand. Then he tried his hand in AAA but didn't fit in with the style like he did in the CMLL.

Highlights from AAA include a feud and title match with Blue Panther, and a career ending injury at the hands of Los Payasos. Never fear though, for mysterious newcomer Charro would hit the scene shortly thereafter, doing all of Angel Azteca's signature armdrags.