Pro Wrestling Only

[1989-12-07-NJPW] Shinya Hashimoto vs Riki Choshu

Superstar Sleeze

Shinya Hashimoto vs Riki Choshu - NJPW 12/7/89 World Cup Finals

New Japan had a one off World Cup tournament at the end of 1989 for what reason I do not know. We ended up with this big time final. Hashimoto was being pushed strong in 1989 making the finals the IWGP Tournament at the Dome in April and now here against the legendary Riki Choshu. I was pretty surprised how this match went down. Since this was 1989 and Hashimoto was on the rise, I expected him to be the one fighting from underneath and proving himself to the main eventer, top dog, Riki Chosu. One thing always is true about this matchup and that is that it is HUGE! Big time lock ups like two rams punctuated with headbutts and slaps. Choshu and Hashimoto always feels like Clash of the Titans whether is it 1989 or 1996. Hashimoto is the first one to score a knockdown with his big rainbow spinning heel kick. That sets the tone, Hashimoto is not an up and comer, he has arrived and is looking not just to win, but to dominate. Choshu wins the test of strength and putting Hashimoto on his back showing that he is not yet past his prime. Hashimoto makes it back up and throws him from the test of strength. Hahsimoto rules. It is amazing how a tubby dude in bellbottoms can be such a badass. Hashimoto is throwing Choshu around at will and Hashimoto really feels like he is at Choshu-level and is a true blue main eventer even in 1989. Choshu escape a cross armbreaker and kicks Hashimoto as he gets up, but that serves just to anger Hashimoto the Destroyer who chops him down with kicks. I am really quite shocked at this match has gone thus far it feels more like 1996 with Hashimoto definitively in the driver's seat. Choshu hits a backdrop driver out of a headlock his first big bomb and Hashimoto powders holding his head, first sign of vulnerability. As he is getting back in the ring, Choshu kicks him and then throws a suplex. Choshu knows he is in a fight and is willing to take any shortcut. He stomps away at Hashimoto before applying the Scorpion Deathlock. At the first opening, Choshu is going for the kill because he realizes how credible a threat Hashimoto is. Hashimoto starts hulking up and it is a barrage of headbutts and kicks. Hashimoto The Destroyer! He goes for a cross armbreaker, which Choshu works hard to escape and then stomps Hashimoto in the head. Everything is being directed at the head and I love that when you are behind in the match you gotta go for those headshots. He goes for the suplex, I am shaking my head. He deviated from the gameplan and Hashimoto is still too strong. He blocks and throws his own vicious suplex slam for 2. Hashimoto is looking great thus far. Here it comes...Hashimoto DDT! German Suplex! Series of two counts Hashimoto is trying to finish Choshu off with his kicks when Choshu chops Hashimoto down with a double axe handle as Hashimoto went for the rainbow spinning heel kick. They go full Choshu/Hashimoto with the series of Choshu lariats and Hashimoto doing his famous selling and it is a flying enziguiri that fells Hahsimoto the Destroyer. Choshu locks in the Dragon Sleeper on the first one Hahsimoto  makes the opes, but he is not so lucky on the second one and Choshu releases just to pin him for the win. 

They would top themselves in 1996, but this is still a badass match. Hashimoto looks amazing in the loss and 1989 was such a breakout year for him. He looked like the asskicker from the 90s we all know and love. Choshu does a great job making him look good, but when it comes time to get his; he hulks up and delivers a fiery finish. It is Clash of the Titans at its finest from New Japan's biggest rockstars. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [1989-12-07-NJPW] Shinya Hashimoto vs Riki Choshu