Pro Wrestling Only

Motivate me to watch some wrestling

Loss

I have been a little out of it for the most part for the better part of a month and haven't really been in the mood to watch any wrestling at all. I need to see something really, really great to get me back in the spirit of things. Recommendations are always great.

A month break is not terrible and in fact it's from time to time recommended. The "spirit" will be back. Stay away from message board discussions and don't force things. Most people who are "burned out" spend all day on DVDVR or other wrestling sites and it doesn't help.

But if you are going to watch anything:

Bucaneros vs. Azteca/Atlantis/Mendoza from 08/88

Dandy/Dantes vs. Cien Caras/Mascara 2000 from 05/89

Morgan/Markus/Ulises vs. Popitekus/Atlantis/Dandy from 05/89

Jackie Sato vs. Rimi Yokota WWWA world title qualifying match (not the famous title switch)

Jackie Sato vs. Nancy Kumi WWWA world title tournament finals

I'm not complicated in that regard, I can spend 2 weeks abroad and not watch a thing, and when I'm back home I only need any Jumbo Hori, Pirata Morgan or Marty Jones to be back in the mood.

Oh yeah, and I have seen the preliminary match lists and it's going to be a shitload of fun.

Anybody looking to "get into lucha" and anybody with a mild interest and willingness to watch more should join in. If this doesn't turn you into a full fledged lucha dork, literally, nothing will.

I'll probably participate in that.

I think between the DVDVR lucha tournament, Bix's Memphis and maybe some other stuff to watch (finally going through the Jeff Lynch BattlARTS Best of set, perhaps), I should be watching some great stuff.

I watched the 2/10/05 match and thought it was really great. Texano impressed me, but I was honestly impressed with everyone. Many lucha trios matches seem to be about individual performances, and they're better at certain times when certain people are in. I was really impressed, however, with the chemistry everyone had here, and how seamless the match was as the pairings changed. This didn't feel like Super Astro or Texano or whoever carrying the workload -- it felt like a true match between teams instead of three talented guys going against three talented guys. It's hard to pinpoint exact moments and spots that really drive that home, but it's great that there's no anticipating of the match getting better or worse as it goes along based on who is in the ring. I also really liked the layout of this one, as you get awesome matwork in the first fall, followed by a faster-paced and shorter highspot-based second caida, followed by a really strong final stretch. This is a really good match I think for a lucha novice to get his feet wet, just because it's a pretty basic and effective build to a finish that's pretty easy to follow. Really nice stuff, and some pretty cool variety (matwork and big highspots) on display as well. I'd actually consider this among my favorite matches of 2005.

I'm not sure the Villanos match was the lesser match, as most people seem to think. This was wildly chaotic and tons of fun. This reminded me a lot of a Dump Matsumoto match from the mid-80s, with all the mask ripping really feeling like hair cutting in a Dump match. I also loved all the fakeout spots in the first caida. I was a bit surprised at how heated this became, considering how non-threatening and fun loving everyone seemed early on. More storyline than match at times, but really strong storyline put over exceptionally well. The sequence and payoff with the rope and the double clotheslines was out - standing, and the American-style sequences at the end were great! I've seen 80s lucha matches where the DDT is ultimately meaningless and never leads to anything - even when done 10 times in a row, and here, it's a late match hope spot from the Villanos and gets a good nearfall. Also really enjoyed the sunset flip attempt and the camera work adding to the drama. You see a reversal into a sunset flip attempt out of the corner, with the camera focused on both refs counting at the same time, and it's so picturesque that you swear you're seeing the finish, and then there's a kickout and it totally surprises you. Awesome match, just barely nudges out the 2/05 match for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TigerMaskKostas

Hi all. I just registered here. This board rocks, much like NMB.

You might know me from DVDVR (my nick there is MaxxxMadd), Smarkschoice (kostas) or CrazyMax (kostas).

I only post when I find some free time, though.

I don't know if you still have that problem Loss, but I always watch the wrestling I grew up with, whenever that happens to me.

I watch my classic Bret matches with Owen, Davey, Austin and Hennig. If my attention span is too weak I watch my "History of the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight title" tapes and particularly those from '88 - '96. The matches are heavily clipped and you can see the excellence that is Liger's booking. Also, Hase, Koshinaka, Takada, Owen, Ultimo Dragon, Benoit, Eddy and co. rocked the Casbah back then.

Tremendous, tremendous stuff!!!

If that doesn't do it for you, some classic 80s Memphis is always great. Make sure you watch Jimmy Hart's "Lance Russel's nose" music video. It's H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S.

"..I met a girl last night who had Dolly Parton's chest, Michael Jackson's eyes but....Lance Russel's nose." lol.

"Da Blue Panther is your Daddy"

Kostas.

• 1 year later...

Good Memphis or Lucha tends to be the solution to any wrestling apathy for me.

History of the IWGP Jr. title was the awesomest thing ever when I first started buying Japanese tapes, even with the massive clipping of everything. I was so happy when Samurai ran the junior history so I could catch all of those Fujinami matches easily.

Take advantage of the internet. Watch some classic AJW ( http://youtube.com/user/MXNT41 ) and get the AJPW run of Choshu Ricky / Ricky Choshu from theditch (ah, it's 6AM and I'm falling again into the old Eurosport habits as they mixed his name frequently up.... shit, I need old Eurosport NJPW with Otto Wanz as commentator naming every move the "Big Otto")