Pro Wrestling Only

[1989-07-23-NWA-Great American Bash] Road Warriors & Midnight Express & Steve Williams vs Fabulous Freebirds & Samoan Swat Team (War Games)

Superstar Sleeze

Road Warriors, Midnight Express & Dr. Death vs. The Fabulous Freebirds & Samoan Swat Team - Great American Bash '89 WARGAMES

The forgotten Wargames pits the tag team division against one another. Jimmy "Jam" Garvin had just joined the Freebirds officially at the previous month's Clash where they won the World Tag Team Titles beating the Midnight Express in the tournament final. The Samoans managed by Paul E. Dangerously had started feuding with the Road Warriors as a means for the Freebirds to have a clear path to the vacant tag team titles. On top of that, Cornette & Dangerously were still feuding from the whole MX vs OMX deal. Dr. Death & Gordy had resumed their feud from the UWF. 

I have gone on record with my unpopular opinion that I am not a huge fan of Wargames. I find there is a lot of meandering and plodding at times. It reminds me a lot of Royal Rumbles. I think the 1991 & 1994 are the best ones I have seen, but I need to re-watch the 1987 ones. Are there any 1988 ones? I thought Michael Hayes on the outside was the most entertaining part of this match. He had to stop himself short of swearing at Bobby Eaton which was unintentionally funny. He balked at going in when he was supposed opting for the Samoans instead. When it came time for him to go in, "I have to go in?" "Yes" "Damn" that "Damn was perfect. 

Eaton & Garvin started it. I will say Eaton had some terrific punches throughout this match. Probably my favorite in-ring action was just watching Eaton punch people. He even had a good left jab at one point. I didnt think there was enough fun or heat during the opening segment. At one point, Garvin is raking his face against the cage and the next part Eaton was hitting Billy Robinson backbreakers. Wheres the consquence? The heel entrances besides Hayes did not do much for me. I will say the babyface entrances were great. Dr. Death was fired up and the military pressing of Gordy into the roof of the cage repeatedly was impressive. Both the Road Warriors entrances were terrific. Animal launching himself like a torpedo from one ring to another was insane. This is what Hawk was built for. Short bursts of offense and he just knocked it out of the park with all his lariats. Doomsday Device is aborted when Garvin says Gordy, but Hawk hits a flying clothesline and then repeated neckbreakers. Hangman's neckbreaker gets Garvin to submit. He was in their the longest, but I think Hayes would have gotten the most heat if he was the one to made submit. They do a post match beatdown on Animal before the babyfaces save again. 

Perfectly fine Wargames match. Besides the one minute of babyface offense thought it was pretty plodding especially the minute before the finish thats when the Royal Rumble comparison with deadweight came to me. I just dont think Wargames is for me. ***

• GSR changed the title to [1989-07-23-NWA-Great American Bash] Road Warriors & Midnight Express & Steve Williams vs Fabulous Freebirds & Samoan Swat Team (War Games)