Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-12-15-NJPW] Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi vs Will Ospreay & Hiroshi Tanahashi

paul sosnowski

Saw this touted as a MOTYC classic in some places. It was great but not that great.

It suffers the usual faults. Far too long with a very safe, tepid opening boosted only by the focused rib work on Ospreay which he sold quite well. Things only started to really heat up at about the 18 minute mark or so and from there it was exactly the kind of white hot bombfest these guys are so good at. 

Thought that the Ospreay-Ibushi exchanges were far and away the highlight of this match. Dunno if Tanahashi-Omega are saving their stuff for the Dome but aside from some fun exchanges, their pairing didn't do too much for me in this match.

Overall a lot of fun and an unexpected gem of a match to end the year. Lots to enjoy even if it is quite bloated.

It's funny how Tanahashi is given so many MVP awards even though he was clearly outclassed by the other 3 men in this match by a wide margin. He had a few good spots in here, but this match was all Ospreay trying to overcome the athletic marvels that are the Golden Lovers. I'm surprised they ended the year with a banger of a tag team match on a usually inconsequential house show, but I'm not complaining either, ****3/4.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-12-15-NJPW] Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi vs Will Ospreay & Hiroshi Tanahashi

Funny how much better makeshift teams like Tanahashi and Will are then the majority NJPW's actual tag teams. I agree with SmartMark's sentiment that there was too much padding in the first third of the match, but the rest of this was awesome. Just an excellent bombfest with the fast-paced action you'd expect from these four (although Tanahashi took a bit of a backseat in this one). I really hope Will's match with Ibushi is the first of many forays into the heavyweight division as he really came off as the star here. ****1/2.

I get what some are saying about Tanahashi having his moments here and there but I think it was all by design. This match mostly was the Will Ospreay show and his assention to the heavyweights. Everything that was done here was fantastic, even the camera work when Ospreay landed on his feet and close up on Ibushi's face was masterful. What a excellent tag match to end the year and keep people pumped for Wrestle Kingdom.