Pro Wrestling Only

[1988-01-24-WWF-Royal Rumble] Glamour Girls vs Jumping Bomb Angels (2/3 Falls)

paul sosnowski

• 2 weeks later...

WWF Womens Tag Team Champions Glamour Girls vs Jumping Bomb Angels - WWF Royal Rumble 1988 Two Out of Three Falls

First Fall: Workrate galore! Fast & furious! I like that Kai actually started off hot throwing the Angels around only for the Angels to use their speed to overwhelm the Glamour Girls. It really just felt like a hot workrate sprint from the Angels and the Glamour Girls were bumping all around for them. They do the double figure-4 and then work over Kai's legs. I really liked when Judy Martin hit her Kick of Fear on Kai while Kai was in an Octopus Stretch. When Judy Martin tags in the the complexion of the match changes. Kai hits a knee from the apron on a criss cross and then a reverse powerbomb (instead of throwing her down back first she fell back and threw the Angle down face first). Incredible, red-hot workrate fall. Jimmy Hart's Glamour Girls up 1-0! 

Second Fall: As is customary, the second fall is about two minutes. Really nice sustained bridge by one of the Angels. I am as bad as McMahon though in the second fall he does attempt to give names to the Angels. The Angels start kicking ass. One of them runs into the wall that is Leliani Kai, but a sunset flip on Kai gives the Angels the decision and knot it up at 1 apiece. 

Third Fall: Begins with a double high knee by the Angels, but Kai uses the Kick of Fear to bully one of the Angels into their corner. Lots of hair pulling, choking and double teaming. Solid heat segment. The hot tag was great, Bombs Away Kneedrop, Bridging Butterfly Suplex, and a missed senton. I liked the missed Senton it put the finish in doubt. The Jumping Bomb Angels hits a Double Missile Dropkick for the win and NEW WOMEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS! Huge pop!

Definitely a step down from the terrific MSG match. It is a bit sloppier and more rushed than the fleshed out the MSG match, but still this is very fun & breezy. ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1988-01-24-WWF-Royal Rumble] Glamour Girls vs Jumping Bomb Angels (2/3 Falls)
  • 1 year later...

LOL at Vince mispronouncing Tateno and Yamazaki's names.  I've seen so many joshi tags, that I can't really say this anywhere near great.  It gets pretty sloppy at times.  I was too young to watch WWF at this time, but I'm assuming this was probably mind-blowing for the WWF in this era, crowd popped really huge for this.