Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-01-04-NJPW-Wrestle Kingdom 13] Chris Jericho vs Tatsuya Naito (No DQ)

paul sosnowski

“HEY CHONO, YOU LIKE THAT SHIT?” - when Jericho said that, I knew we were in for a banger tbh. Naito’s bumping was on top form to say the least - that one he took when Jericho gave him the DDT on top of the announcer table was absolutely sick. Jericho delivered a fun beatdown, and Naito’s comebacks ruled - he was very much on point w/ his work over Jericho's neck, as almost every move he dished out was targeted towards it. Him playing BASEBALL with the kendo stick was fun too & the kendo stick shots overall were pretty damn brutal in this one. Couple of very good nearfalls & callbacks to their previous match as well. Thumbs up! ***1/2

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2019-01-04-NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13] Chris Jericho vs Tatsuya Naito (No DQ)

You could feel the hatred in this match right when Naito attacked Jericho before the bell rang. Didn't feel like a typical plunder match and much more like a brawl that happened to have weapons. The DDT spot on the table was absolutely brutal and the aforementioned kendo stick spot from Naito really drove home how much Naito relished in punishing Jericho. Arguably Jericho's best match yet in NJPW.

****1/4

God damn did these guys almost steal the show with a very chaotic brawl. Of course, I didn't expect anything less than a great match on a stage this big featuring these two. I think their first match was a bit more "violent", but this match still had its brutal spots. Jericho was great as usual, but Naito in particular kicked it up a notch in a way that I haven't seen since 2017, ****1/2.

• GSR changed the title to [2019-01-04-NJPW-Wrestle Kingdom 13] Chris Jericho vs Tatsuya Naito (No DQ)

Really enjoyable match. Felt like a collection of great moments than a great match though. Lost a bit of steam in the middle as they threatened to venture into standard match territory but they balanced the hateful plunder brawl aspect well enough.Naito's baseball spots and Jericho throwing a chair at Naito while he was climbing (rather than coming off the top rope) were standouts. Also liked how decisive the finish was, something very rare these days. Fun postmatch antics. ***1/2