Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-03-08-NJPW-New Japan Cup: Day One] Tomohiro Ishii vs Yuji Nagata

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [2019-03-08-NJPW-New Japan Cup: Day One] Tomohiro Ishii vs Yuji Nagata

Blue fucking Justice prevails. After watching a tediously boring show, I needed this match to pump some god damn energy into my veins and they delivered another exciting beat down in the grumpy old man vs grumpy old man saga. I legitimately can't think of any wrestler right now that is 50 years old and can deliver a MOTYC out of nowhere like Nagata can, ****3/4.

Excellent match and I would agree it was exactly what a tepid first round show needed. Nagata is still incredibly limber and still has a great deal of oomph behind his strikes. And Ishii is still one of the best wrestlers in the world.  While this was ultimately a back-and-forth war of attrition, there was a really cool story of the aging vet proving to a younger, more firey opponent that he still has plenty of gas left in the tank. Absolutely no respect between these two with a series of slap exchanges that give Suzuki-Okada a run for its money.

Terrific match and one of the best this year so far. ****1/2

Absolutely excellent. Don't know much about Nagata but he looked fantastic in here. Another grumpy old man to add to the list of great grumpy old men. His strikes were all crisp and stiff and he looked like a believable threat to the battle hardened Ishii. All this was back and forth stiff strikes and big moves so in that sense I felt like it did go on a little too long for that type of match. But there's no denying that the action was all fantastic from bell-to-bell. It also helped that Nagata started bleeding from the mouth halfway making his armbar look even more deadly when he locked it in. Great stuff.

****1/4+

They kicked, chopped & forearm'd the crap out of one another with their absolutely brutal looking strikes, and the arm targeting by Nagata was superb, but with the match going over 20 minutes, I felt it was dragging at points, so that's why it's not quite in the MOTYC status for me. Still a really good smackfest though, with the great stuff in it being really, really great. ***3/4